National anthem at the BCS game

That 2nd touchdown by Fla clearly wasn't.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 2nd touchdown by Fla clearly wasn't.

Haha, I really don't think it would have made a difference. Only one team showed up to the game last night.

I didn't see it, but while we're on the subject...

I think that the 4 major pro sports leagues ought to have a week during their seasons where they just play an instrumental recording of the anthem, show the lyrics on the big screen and say, "Now please rise, remove your caps, and JOIN US in singing our national anthem." That's the way the anthem needs to be done. They usually do it at college football games because the marching bands play it, and everyone sings it, followed by the alma mater and fight song, not necessarily in that order.

When I go to events where the National Anthem is performed, basicly drum corps shows, I most often sing along even if not invited to do so. Most times a few people join in, but mostly people, especially kids, look at me like with a "why is he doing that," kinda look. :P

I don't care, I sing along if I want to regardless. :)

kinda OT but.... there's been only one national anthem rendition that just dropped my jaw, and it was the world series d-backs vs. yankees and that trumpet player doing the anthem. whew, that was cool and awesome.

I like it sung in harmony..modern or otherwise.

...Though the "warbleing diva" versions are pretty annoying :sshh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

By the way, I need to give Fox some serious props. Did anyone else notice how well mic'd the bands were last night? They sounded like you'd expect. Thank you Fox for getting that one right.

I'd only expect Fox to show that kid crying. Too funny.

When I go to events where the National Anthem is performed, basicly drum corps shows, I most often sing along even if not invited to do so. Most times a few people join in, but mostly people, especially kids, look at me like with a "why is he doing that," kinda look. :P

I don't care, I sing along if I want to regardless. :)

You probably get strange looks because you're really not supposed to sing along. I mean it's not like it's illegal or anything, but there's a difference between someone PERFORMING the national anthem and someone LEADING everyone in the singing of the national anthem. They often bring out famous singers to perform the anthem while everyone listens, as opposed to having someone LEAD everyone in singing it. And the way some celebrities sing it, it's pretty hard to sing along with them because of all the embellishments.

I remember when the Red Wings played the Oilers in the playoffs last year, at the games in Edmonton (which is in Canada for those who don't know) the anthem was sung by some tenor, but then the whole crowd just joined in with him and sung along with him. Then he just stopped singing, smiled, and pointed the mic to the crowd. Part of it may be that Canadians like their anthem alot better than we like ours. Part of it might be that our anthem is alot tougher to sing than theirs. And part of it might be that Canadians just have more national pride than we do.

I completely agree. They did it justice.

No over-dramatizing, no unnessessary diva-esque modulations in pitch.

In short....GOOD.

I didn't see it because I don't watch sports, but I have to agree. I HATE when people singing the national anthem do that thing where they carry out every syllable as long as they can all while trying to cram as many different pitches into each of syllable as possible. I don't know who started it, but it sounds terrible every time. Just give me clear precise pitches any time.