"Tradition" in Drum Corps

Does the alumni corps movement pretty much preserve what most people want when they say they long for (insert "tranditional" comment here)?

Is it enough that some of the active corps' still play in G, or perform what some might call more traditional shows?

Or is it something more or different than that?

What can we do to preserve the things that some feel are slipping (or have slipped) away?

Any ideas?

(For the sake of discussion, can we PLEASE assume that the G bugle is part of that tradition, and therefore dispence with the already well-flogged Bb argument?)

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the alumni corps movement pretty much preserve what most people want when they say they long for (insert "tranditional" comment here)?

Is it enough that some of the active corps' still play in G, or perform what some might call more traditional shows?

Or is it something more or different than that?

What can we do to preserve the things that some feel are slipping (or have slipped) away?

Any ideas?

(For the sake of discussion, can we PLEASE assume that the G bugle is part of that tradition, and therefore dispence with the already well-flogged Bb argument?)

I believe the All Age movement, as a whole, is doing the most to preserve drum corps tradition. Some still play on traditional horns. We still have a full blown retreat. The Honor Guard is still in place. "Most" of the shows in DCA are programmed strictly for entertainment value (which is key). "Most" corps are more than willing to take a woodwind player and convert them to bari without batting an eyelash. We draw our membership of a 20-30 mile radius as opposed to anyone from anywhere that can afford to march. If you're really looking for the 60's 70's style of drum corps, I'm not even sure you can say Alumni corps represents that. I still see off the line .... I still see the rotating company fronts.... I still see company fronts where they're appropriate.... I DON'T see amps or speakers on the field etc etc etc. There will always be spectators that judge the activity as a whole, based on what they see from few. I just hope they realize that we're doing everything we can to keep ReAL drum corps alive and kicking ..... and GROWING.

I love playing on 3 valve G bugles. I want to play on them as long as possible, and still do in my current corps. In my two years of DCI experience I played both G and Bb, so I have a basis of comparison. I love the fact that I play on a brass instrument that differs from what I play in college. I also love the power and tone quality of G horns. If there weren't so many darn pitch issues, they would be perfect.

So here's the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most DCA corps who play on G horns using horns that are several years old? The fact about any horns that are used in a marching activity is that they wear out. When that happens, new horns need to be purchased. Are any corps going to have brand new G horns manufactured when they need new ones? Money is always an issue, especially for the weekend warriers. It is near impossible for a corps to sell G horns anymore, while Bb horns can be sold to just about anyone. So my question is, will any corps care so much about tradition that they will have new G horns built for them? If I had my way I would make sure it happens, but reality is a different story.

Edited by ekleve

I love playing on 3 valve G bugles. I want to play on them as long as possible, and still do in my current corps. In my two years of DCI experience I played both G and Bb, so I have a basis of comparison. I love the fact that I play on a brass instrument that differs from what I play in college. I also love the power and tone quality of G horns. If there weren't so many darn pitch issues, they would be perfect.

So here's the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most DCA corps who play on G horns using horns that are several years old? The fact about any horns that are used in a marching activity is that they wear out. When that happens, new horns need to be purchased. Are any corps going to have brand new G horns manufactured when they need new ones? Money is always an issue, especially for the weekend warriers. It is near impossible for a corps to sell G horns anymore, while Bb horns can be sold to just about anyone. So my question is, will any corps care so much about tradition that they will have new G horns built for them? If I had my way I would make sure it happens, but reality is a different story.

The Kilties are going with a new set of "G"'s. The Powerbore sopranos have already been received and issued, awaiting the new mellos, and the contras have already been taken care of, with the baritones in the works.

The Kilties continuing in G was by recommendation of our highly respected, experienced and educated staff....all music educators. They saw the great value of staying in G for specific reasons, plus the educational value of members new to the drum corps idiom learning to play different keyed instruments outside the normal and standard instruments of band programs and such.

..........and we like "G"!!

I don't get the difference between this thread and the previous.

The Kilties are going with a new set of "G"'s. The Powerbore sopranos have already been received and issued, awaiting the new mellos, and the contras have already been taken care of, with the baritones in the works.

The Kilties continuing in G was by recommendation of our highly respected, experienced and educated staff....all music educators. They saw the great value of staying in G for specific reasons, plus the educational value of members new to the drum corps idiom learning to play different keyed instruments outside the normal and standard instruments of band programs and such.

..........and we like "G"!!

That is awesome, and quite refreshing I might add! What are you doing with the old horns?

That is awesome, and quite refreshing I might add! What are you doing with the old horns?

At this exact point in time, we are keeping any previously played Kanstul brand horns (all sections) as a part of the existing inventory (at least for a little bit of time, not long) for any potential growth in the brass line above 60 so all are on Kanstul. That should be ironed out shortly, then these will shortly go on the market also.

The Dynasty sopranos are already long gone through the after markets (Kanstul sopranos still in our inventory..for now), as are the Yamaha contras also gone. The Dynasty mellos are already spoken for. The baritone and euphs will be placed on the after market as soon as it's determined the receiving date for the new ones arriving.

:)

So for argument's sake, which is more traditional...Stars and Stripes on Bb (the way Sousa wrote it), or Stairway to Heaven in G?

:worthy: