DCA:All age all good

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying all adults are to be avoided, but just remember, it only takes one and the corp could be ruined.

True of any activity. There have to be adults around to supervise and teach the boy scouts, girl guides, baseball team or div 3 corps.

I'm not saying all adults are to be avoided, but just remember, it only takes one and the corp could be ruined.

If a person is over 18 years of age, they are legally an adult, so this is a wider spectrum than one may realize.

The "all age" format of The Kilties is working wonderfully. It's allowing people of all ages to enjoy the activity, and for many of the younger members a chance at doing the activity that may be otherwise limited due to time and finance issues with touring drum corps. Our staff are educators who endorse drum corps membership to their students in all areas (brass, percussion and color guard)

We had/have members of The Kilties go on to Madison, Cavies, Phantom, etc. etc., and many stay with the "all age" program for season after season. Some of those going to touring corps end up doing so with the help, encouragement and (many times) financial backing of The Kilties. It's all about personal choice.

Really the only time I have seen any signs of trouble with kids mixed with adults is the bus trips.Mostly with the movies.

I know many corps assign mentors to these kids and watch out for them.

Really the only time I have seen any signs of trouble with kids mixed with adults is the bus trips.Mostly with the movies.

Yeah - the kids want to watch a movie and I want to sleep....... :worthy:

I know many corps assign mentors to these kids and watch out for them.

Movies?????? On the bus???????? We didn't even have a restroom on ours back in the day. We had to use the window.

Man, I must really be a dinosaur. I recall the bus company sending the wrong bus once. A city bus instead of a charter. We rode that all the way from Long Island to Rochester. Talk about your sore butts.

Movies?????? On the bus???????? We didn't even have a restroom on ours back in the day. We had to use the window.

Man, I must really be a dinosaur. I recall the bus company sending the wrong bus once. A city bus instead of a charter. We rode that all the way from Long Island to Rochester. Talk about your sore butts.

Heh! No washroom from Guelph to Ottawa in 1969. 6-7 hours I think and I only remember one break. A lot of Coke bottles got thrown out of the window.....

Heh! No washroom from Guelph to Ottawa in 1969. 6-7 hours I think and I only remember one break. A lot of Coke bottles got thrown out of the window.....

A restroom on a bus was unheard of in my day. In senior corps, after a show, many times there was a party. A good one I recall, was always the Yanke Rebels party, where many beers were consumed. It was also a long bus ride home. They stopped the bus maybe once between Baltimore and New York. Talk about a hurting bladder. Years after I retired they came up with a solution. The plastic lawn bags thing. As long as nobody stepped on or kicked the bag in the aisle, things went well. It was also a good idea not to sit near the bag.

Just some points of clarification on some fun and interesting discussion here:

All aged is NOTHING new... although 50 years ago, some corps tended to be "older" and a few (i.e. cabs) rarely let an under 18 in... MANY corps flaunted that rule in the faces of the Legion and VFW. I won my first Legion National Championship at 18 when the age limit was 21... I competed in my first Legion State Championship at the ripe old age of 13... and the age limit was still 21...

In the 50's, there were several cases of corps being disqualified for having under aged members... (Bob Boychyck and the Syracuse Brigadiers was one stink that has famous roots in fact in the late 50's)

My point is that having high school kids in senior corps (sorry, all aged corps) is no NEW experience... almost every corps did it and I for one feel it helped me grow up safely and had much to do with the person I became... The good news here is that responsible adults in the corps set guidelines for the kids and made sure they were adhered to... you might say I had 30 or 40 "fathers" watching over me at all times...

Unfortunately, times change and the last 25 years brought about a lawsuit crazy society and I became very comfortable with only allowing an under 18 year old IF an over 18 direct relative was in the corps to be responsible for the youngster...

Times change and we change with it whether we like it or not... I have no problem with All Aged corps as long as membership and management are willing to accept the responsibilities of the custodial relationship involved with under aged members...