Amps are "unjudged", but so is the pit...

You know, just as an aside... we've complained heavily that amps and their problems are not on the sheets. But at the same time, I find it interesting that we tolerate that the pit is generally not judged for execution, with the exception of 2 judge shows. The drum judge runs out and plays "chase the battery", and then goes and "checks out the pit" for the moment or two in the ballad.

Of course, pits are on the sheet, but still, does it draw an analogy? Is it a problem?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think it is as much an issue, because as you said - judges do listen to the pit (depending on the judge the pit can get considerable coverage on a tape). However, I've yet to hear a tape where amps are judged in the same way.

doesn't pit "scoring" come into play in things like GE music, music ensemble and overall music?

Can't really judge execution with the pit, really. (I know that's what you said... just reitterating...)

Edited by GGarrett

pits are heavily commented upon. if you're basing what you see from the dvd's, yeah i could see where you say it's chase the battery, but there are two judges there at finals. trust me during the year, it isn't that way.

plus it does seem some ensemble and ge issues relating to pit is being addressed, just nowhere near consistently

Dude, listen to the drum tapes on the DVDs. That's the field judge, the one you have for EVERY show.

Edited by fourouttheforty

I was under the impression that the pit is judged - as above posts said, certainly by the ensemble and GE judges, and receiving part of the field judge's attention. The manner in which pit balance issues were addressed in recent years (well, excluding 2006) suggests to me that judges were paying attention to the pits.