Crossmen Camp news

Was at camp for a while this weekend. Things are going very well for the corps this year. I can say with all confidence that this move was great for the longevity and competitiveness of the corps.

The brass: There were alot of kids still, so they still have some cuts to make. The staff is making sure that they sound blended and balanced. The attention to detail from the staff would be frustrating for me if I were a member. They played through a chunk of the show they had recieved this weekend. I'll describe the show music later. Other then that, I dont really know what else to say. So, yea...thats the brass, they are doing very well. They were loud also, I could hear them on the other side of the campus.

The percussion: There were still about 14 snares, 8 quads, 7 basses , 6 cymbals, and 14 pit so im sure they are still making cuts. The drumline is probably going to be the strongest section of the corps. The talent is amazing, and the staff is doing a great job putting it together. The technique looks very defined, and they are definatelty grooving. An alumni told me that the talent in the percussion is so good this year that several vets (some going into their third year with the corps) were cut. Hate to see that happen, but it definately speaks volumes for the talent level in the percussion program at crossmen. Didn't see much of the pit, but i heard them putting together an arrangement of mercury from the planets that sounded very very cool. The crossmen percussion will be very much improved this season.

The show : I dont want to give too much away, because I dont want to reveal something that they dont want to reveal yet . The show is called "Metamorphosis." The horns had music for the "pre-show" and the introduction. All-in all, about 3 minutes of actual show, but about 6 minutes of music. The introduction is very cool, and it has many themes in it. The main theme that every thing is "mixed" with is symphonic metamorphosis by hindemith. It builds and builds, quoting tons of different songs, and leads up to a beautiful big hit of Russian Christmas Music by alfred reed. Thats all im going to say about it, cause I think they want to be relatively secret about it. Its very different, and very hip. one thing can be certain though, It is going to be innovative and exciting.

All in all, the corps is much improved in every aspect. I am excited for them. I hope to be at as many of the camps as possible to watch the show progress.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, well, Texas is know for top quality marching ensembles(I won't use the "band" word) so I would think that this move would be great for them, especially being a group like the Crossmen that has such a rich and wonderful history of excellence.

If the pre-show is anything like reagan hs from 2 years ago it will be very cool. Reagan basically used all of their set up time playing and building to the beginning of the show. It sounded like a soft entrance cadence at first in the percussion but then the winds entered and began the crescendo into the show. It's really one of the coolest things i've seen the last few years in band and drum corps. As a matter of fact, it was almost cooler than the actual show! Guidry's good at interspersing his own original material with the source material, should be good!