1996 DCI Finals

Yes! Such a jovial night all around. The lady behind me, a Phantom mom, had a cell phone (oh what a novelty back then!) and was holding it up during the scores. When Brandt announced the scores she began weeping. I think I remember her repeating "finally, finally" over and over.

And I can't help but mention the 99 tie - watching the SCV members not able to grasp that they had won by virtue of a tie. Pointing at them and screaming "you won! you won!" They wanted it so much - just like Phantom. It was another 'zone' performance. All heart. The closest to both of those being the moment Boston got into Finals for the first time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope.. but if there WAS....... :)

There was a time when GE was the Tie Breaker, so if there had been, Regiment would have won.

As I stated in an earlier post I don't believe in Tie Breakers.

If two corps score the same, so be it.

There was a tie at Drum Corps Midwest (I think) one year in the 80s between Regiment and Scouts.

They brought both corps out and they did there shows again and the higher score from the second run got the trophy.

It's funny but I can't remember who got it LOL

When it comes to ties, I actually have a hard time believeing it took until 96 for 2 corps to tie for first.

There were several DCI champions who won by just .1

1978 (SCV over Regiment)

1984 (Garfield over BD)

1987 (Garfield over SCV)

1993 (Cadets over Star)

and I am sure there were one or two I missed, plus a whole pile seperated by .5 or less.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

There was a tie at Drum Corps Midwest (I think) one year in the 80s between Regiment and Scouts.

They brought both corps out and they did there shows again and the higher score from the second run got the trophy.

It's funny but I can't remember who got it LOL

Phantom did! 1982, of course. It's been hashed out in another thread on the Historical page, but it was the greatest head-to-head competition I've ever seen. Both Madison and Phantom were absolutely terrifyingly good in the run-off.

Edited by tommytimp

That was a fun week in Orlando in 96. Consider what happened:

1-Les Etoiles pulls off one of the all-time great upsets in winning the DII trophy over Pionerr who was thought to waltz off with it.

2-Les Etoiles goes that feat one better (or 2) by vaulting into 15th place in the Quaters and Semis.

Les Etoiles execution M&M (or whatever it was called back then) was off the wall clean in semis. I remember watching them and thinking they could possibly make top 6 in marching execution with that performance. Audience was shocked when their score was announced - Don and I just smiled at each other.

Also, that was the year a number of corps used what appeared to be PVC pipes in their show - Mandarins and Crossmen come to mind. I was wondering if Home Depot sponsored DCI that year.

I watched '96 Phantom last night on the Classic Countdown DVD. That show was so....

stark is the best I can come up with. The most uncluttered show I have EVER seen. I LOVED that show - BUT, I've heard few if any comments about their jump in percussion scores finals week. Anybody??

Les Etoiles execution M&M (or whatever it was called back then) was off the wall clean in semis. I remember watching them and thinking they could possibly make top 6 in marching execution with that performance. Audience was shocked when their score was announced - Don and I just smiled at each other.

Also, that was the year a number of corps used what appeared to be PVC pipes in their show - Mandarins and Crossmen come to mind. I was wondering if Home Depot sponsored DCI that year.

I watched '96 Phantom last night on the Classic Countdown DVD. That show was so....

stark is the best I can come up with. The most uncluttered show I have EVER seen. I LOVED that show - BUT, I've heard few if any comments about their jump in percussion scores finals week. Anybody??

Our score did go up a good bit between qrtrs and finals, but the qrtrs and semi drum scores were the ones that were off, not the finals. We had been scoring well in drums coming into DCI week and the drum scores (as well as a few other captions) took a hit and dropped in qrtrs only to climb back up over the next 2 nights.

As I said in an earlier post, we were only .7 behind BD coming into DCI week then suddenly at qrtrs we end up 3.7 down. We were closer than that weeks before DCI. Was very confusing and if our score had stayed consistent with what we were recieving coming into finals week we would have been 2nd in qrtrs and semis instead of 4th and 3rd.

I personally think coming from 4th to first makes a much better story LOL

• 1 year later...

Speaking of Phantom '96 drums, who was the percussion caption head that year? Was Prosperie still around?

Our score did go up a good bit between qrtrs and finals, but the qrtrs and semi drum scores were the ones that were off, not the finals. We had been scoring well in drums coming into DCI week and the drum scores (as well as a few other captions) took a hit and dropped in qrtrs only to climb back up over the next 2 nights.

As I said in an earlier post, we were only .7 behind BD coming into DCI week then suddenly at qrtrs we end up 3.7 down. We were closer than that weeks before DCI. Was very confusing and if our score had stayed consistent with what we were recieving coming into finals week we would have been 2nd in qrtrs and semis instead of 4th and 3rd.

I personally think coming from 4th to first makes a much better story LOL

Today, while watching my Best of the 90s VHS tape, a thought struck me, "What happened in 1996 after the first ever tie for 1st place? What was the atmosphere like on finals night? Did anyone have the thought in their head, immediately after phantom's performance, that they may have a shot at 1st?"

Basically I just want to know, how did everyone react, both those in attendance at finals, and those who weren't. Were there boos, was there insane celebration?

... also. Does anyone know how to come get a hold of a video of retreat from '96? I do not own any VHS finals other than the one listed above. Was retreat and the reading of scores placed on the finals tapes?

Thanks

Go to YouTube and search "DCI - ties"

When the search results come up, go to the video that says "1996 DCI Finals Scores Announcement"

Speaking of Phantom '96 drums, who was the percussion caption head that year? Was Prosperie still around?

Lee Beddis