1996 DCI Finals

The way I remember it was when Crocker said, "which is actually a tie for 1st", the crowd was almost upset and booing a tiny bit because there was a tie, but then they realized that Phantom was involved and that they won their first half-title and then they started going crazy for them!

Reaction was not quite the same for the other 2 ties, in 1999 and 2000.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom killed in Finals. The captions were announced between corps. Once Phantom was announced as winning both brass and GE, I thought they had won it - they controlled a majority of the points. After the tie was announced, there was a lot of channting for a show down, which dissapated into a huge ovation for both corps. Both BD and Phantom were incredible at Fianls. It was a great night of drum corps.

One of the best moments of that night was both drum majors, Kristy Spears and James Gulke (names probably spelled wrong. Sorry.) directing the finale. I was only a few feet away from them, bottom tier, middle section, and they were both all smiles.

As far as the crowd reaction? I was sitting with a friend, and we just turned to each other, eyes wide, mouths gaping, thinking how unbelievable it was!

And the encore run-throughs by both corps were worth sticking around for. I remember a BD staffer on the field with the corps, videotaping corps members as they performed.

Most drum corps fans are accustomed to very little changing from semifinals to finals. Sure a corps or two may swap places, but when the gap is a point or more, such moves are almost unheard of. So to see a corps vault from third to first was incredible.

i think the fact that Phantom was part of the tie and the joy it caused everyone overrode any complaints about a tie, at least on the spot.

and god knows Phantom was in one of those zones that night. it seems hard to believe that show was 11 minutes because it went by so fast, and the entire time you were just sucked in.

it seems hard to believe that show was 11 minutes because it went by so fast, and the entire time you were just sucked in.

That's the true sign of a great show.

One of the best moments of that night was both drum majors, Kristy Spears and James Gulke (names probably spelled wrong. Sorry.) directing the finale. I was only a few feet away from them, bottom tier, middle section, and they were both all smiles.

As far as the crowd reaction? I was sitting with a friend, and we just turned to each other, eyes wide, mouths gaping, thinking how unbelievable it was!

And the encore run-throughs by both corps were worth sticking around for. I remember a BD staffer on the field with the corps, videotaping corps members as they performed.

Most drum corps fans are accustomed to very little changing from semifinals to finals. Sure a corps or two may swap places, but when the gap is a point or more, such moves are almost unheard of. So to see a corps vault from third to first was incredible.

I liked seeing them hug afterwards, on the VHS. Both are among the most famous drum majors of all time for their corps, and it was only fitting that they got to share the moment together.

Seeing the Phantom staff members jumping around like crazy after the tie was announced was extremely amusing as well.

Edited by Jared_mello

I would love to see a 3-way tie at Finals. Then 3 times the kids go home as champions. Haha.

and yet we never will

So... is the reading of the scores on the 1996 VHS?

Yes :)

As some have pointed out, the unique context for this tie made for a unique response. Unlike other years where perennial champs couldn’t edge each other out, you had the championship maiden making an improbable jump to match the season-long favorite. Had Cadets tied BD that night, I’m sure the response would have been different. But with Phantom not only coming from behind, but coming from behind for a shot at a first-ever trophy, the focus was less on the tie and more on Phantom.

Also, it was the first-ever tie. The disappointment that would crescendo three and four years later hadn’t yet found its chops. To some extent, SCV’s tie in 1999 might have been better received had in not been second in the series. The third tie in 2000 was too much for too many fans because it was third and because it involved two recent champs.

I, for one, have been one of the few voices on these boards in favor of ties. For me, it’s all about the show. Another tie, another show. Let’em play.

HH