"Everybody's So Serious Today"

I think, from a design/staff prospective, being serious is necessary. Not because the whole idea about being so bad## or whatever, but because it's easier to be technically "better" when you come in with a serious mindset. Of course I'm not saying you can't play well when you ignore or supress your emotions, but how many finals show have you seen that were dirtier than semis because of the emotions of the performers? Again, this is probably good for the activity (the emotional content, that is), but it isn't always good for score.

I'm also not trying to say staff are always trying to get the best score, or are trying to only perform a judges show. But it seems to be necessary in order for many corps to survive and retain membership. All corps get people to join, but there are alot of corps that don't march a full 135, and usually none of them are in the top 6.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's are times to be serious, and there are times when you don't have to be. Too much of one or the other can be damaging I think.

well you know, Kevin... there is NO fun allowed in drum corps anymore...

so_crazy_062.gif

w/Stp: -very true

I think the advent of the "theme show" might have something to do with this. Time was when corps went onto the field and performed a collection of unrelated tunes -- ranging from classical to pop, often incorporating various styles within a single production. That kind of programming allowed for a greater display of moods/emotions.

Today, it seems, shows often start with an "artistic" theme or idea, and that idea is often so broad or esoteric as to be somewhat elusive to fans in the stand. Corps get so caught up in conveying the theme and/or in trying to portray or "communicate" an intangible idea, that sheer, unfettered entertainment is often lacking. I'm not suggesting we go back to the hodge-podge approach to show design and musical selection but, I think, there can be a happy medium.

That's one reason why I decided to stop pursuing a spot in a top 12 corps this year. They spent so much time harping on the difficulty level, and how the judges would eat it up, and how this would be a great step forward for the corps, but I wonder if they ever really considered whether or not it would actually be a fun show to watch.

I personally think that the connection I feel with the audience is much more important than the trophies we win. That's why I'm going back to Div II, at least for this year.

I don't remember much about finals last summer except that we had to get up pretty #### early and perform in front of a crowd of just a few thousand, or what seemed like 50 from the field. We had the best show of our summer there, but only a small amount of people saw it.

I DO remember shows that weren't at finals where we performed and the crowd was screaming. We fed into that, and the next time I looked they were standing and screaming. We fed even more into that, and before I had a chance to look I was smacked across the face with a baby.

I don't think I would trade that for anything, even a ring.

I DO remember shows that weren't at finals where we performed and the crowd was screaming. We fed into that, and the next time I looked they were standing and screaming. We fed even more into that, and before I had a chance to look I was smacked across the face with a baby.

I don't think I would trade that for anything, even a ring.

Thats what its all about!

:angry:

Check out a DCA show this summer if you get the chance.

They strike me as having struck the right balance between serious and fun shows ...

and traditional drum corps ... in an ALL AGE format!

Well worth the ten or fifteen bucks they charge fans for a show in July or August.

:wall:

cavaliers 2006 division one champions..

The whole member doing the robot dance? serious?

I think Serious is a wrong word....

I think about proffesionalism. Not in a " goddy " term. more as a design approach. Fans have changed AS WELL as the corps. I prefer the proffesional shows.

Edited by g0at

I think the advent of the "theme show" might have something to do with this. Time was when corps went onto the field and performed a collection of unrelated tunes -- ranging from classical to pop, often incorporating various styles within a single production. That kind of programming allowed for a greater display of moods/emotions.

Today, it seems, shows often start with an "artistic" theme or idea, and that idea is often so broad or esoteric as to be somewhat elusive to fans in the stand. Corps get so caught up in conveying the theme and/or in trying to portray or "communicate" an intangible idea, that sheer, unfettered entertainment is often lacking. I'm not suggesting we go back to the hodge-podge approach to show design and musical selection but, I think, there can be a happy medium.

Corps get caught up in doing this? how about the judging panels require it. Anytime the directors get together with the judging panel to explain their show , means that it is the standard now. Corps can't just make fun shows for the fans, or they won't be around for very long. The young adults trying out for these corps want to be successful, competitive, good. Look at the number of people trying out for these top d1 drum corps. Thats all I have to say.

Edited by g0at