"Everybody's So Serious Today"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, it's astonishing to me when any musician could possibly create something that isn't solely for entertainment and making people happy. Think about it, who do people like more, Beethoven and Mahler or Lindsay Lohan? It's obvious who the real musical genius is here.

Yeah but Lohan looks better in a dress....

For the record, my wife is a conservatory trained violinist with a Masters degree in music education (focus on string theory). Her musical background is much stronger than mine, while my drum corps background is much stronger than hers.

Also, I purposely posted her comments without including my own. I wanted to see what other people thought considering that my wife's exposure to drum corps essentially started when she met me back in 2002.

Leave it to a Baritone (me) to screw up who said what. ^0^

Just reread the original post and it just got more interesting. Kevin has she seen any video or heard any older shows? My wife never heard of an Alumni corps until I got back into corps in 2004. After seeing Alumnis at the Serenade in Brass concert and DCA Alumni Spectacular I think that's what she likes best. (And knowing a bunch of Alumni members helps too. :) )

Yeah but Lohan looks better in a dress....

sure, if you like looking at skin and ribs.

~>conner

sure, if you like looking at skin and ribs.

~>conner

Touche Connor.. :P

So it ain't just middle aged people like me (7 months until Oh #### 5-0) who think that way. :doh:

if they weren't serious about what they were doing wouldn't it end up pretty crappy?

Everyone that does drum corps is serious in doing it from what I've seen. They work hard during practise as we ALUMNI did during our time. They sweat, bleed and even cry as many of us did during our time.

Being serious is concentrating on what you are doing during practise and doing it to the best of your ability.

But at some point you have to have a little down time and relax and not just a laundry day. :doh: :lolhit: :wub::beer:

Kevin, I like the comments.

I have been drum corps aware since the mid 1980's and over those years, I have seen a drastic change. While I can find entertaining shows these days, I really do believe the shows have become more about the designers and less about the audience. Back in my early experiences, the shows had the audience more in mind. And those shows were not a bunch of half notes and symmetrical drill. Just look at what Suncoast Sound was doing back in the day. They were a little ahead of the curve, but still a lot of "fun" and accessible.

I have joined a DCA corps and really have come to enjoy that brand of entertaining drum corps. No, the visual package is not as stunning, but in a standstill, I'd take some of the All Age units over the juniors. (I know it is heresy by typing this, but give me the Bucs' "Adagio" over SCV!).

I am not sure "serious" is the right word, but I get the concept.

So we should just simply give up complexity and focus on half notes and whole notes, and just play loud?

My mom went to a show last year, and this was the fisrt since I had marched back in the early 90's, and she commented on how entertaining the shows were and she is not one bit musically inclined.

My Uncle Jeffrey marched snare back in the late 70's, was at the same show with my mom, and he can't believe how entertaining the shows were.

Mom and uncle J, hope you are reading this. This guy thinks you just don't get it.

I had a similar experience. My parents came to the show in San Antonio this past summer to see my daughter performing with the Blue Stars. They had not been to see a show live since Championships in 91 in Dallas. They were blown away by the quality of hte performance and the entertainment of the corps. There were a few corps that were not their cup of tea, but that is no different from when I marched between 78 and 88.

I have an Uncle that lives in rural Wisconsin that came to see me perform with the Sky Ryders at Championships in Madison from 85 to 87. He went to see my daughter at the show in La Crosse last summer. He too was blown away, and that show was a Div II/III show with an exhibition by the Blue Stars.