"Everybody's So Serious Today"

Why is everyone so serious today? Jeezus....

Skyliners in the 60s/70s weren't serious as much as they were scarey. And that was OFF the field as well. :wub:

And ODBC :P Picturing us at 100 :sshh:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I haven't read all 64 posts on this one. But this question came up after your wife heard 94 BD's audio recording and compared it to the way hornlines play today.

"There's a level of exuberance you don't hear today because everybody's trying to be so serious."

So it really sounds like what you're really trying to ask is:

Why do hornlines play so safe these days?

You hit the nail on the head Rick! There was always room to let it ALL hang out 10-70 years ago. That's just not allowed these days. The lines that are produced now are over produced and horse collared to an extent and it takes away from the "traditional" sound of Drum corps. Everyone talks about CD QUALITY now .... that's all fine and good, but the lines that got the most respect from the audience last summer were plain and clear: Crown, Bluestars, Cap Reg, Academy etc...... (even PR to an extent). When they produced the sound that drum corps fans know as, "DRUM CORPS SOUND", heads snap sideways and eyes bug followed by mutterings of "OMG did you hear (feel) that?" It's called ENERGY and EMOTION = Entertainment .... so sometimes it's a GOOD thing to not be Perfect to the point of sterility.

Skyliners in the 60s/70s weren't serious as much as they were scarey. And that was OFF the field as well. :wub:

And ODBC :P Picturing us at 100 :sshh:

Jim talk about being SO serious, you give me a one valve baritone BUGLE and I'll play something that'll make you cry...not because the song is so beautiful but because you can't play anything decent on a one valve baritone, you gotta have the dang rotory to get anything good out of those horns ! :P

Edited by ODBC

Jim talk about being SO serious, you give me a one valve baritone BUGLE and I'll play something that'll make you cry...not because the song is so beautiful but because you can't play anything decent on a one valve baritone, you gotta have the dang rotory to get anything good out of those horns ! :P

Have a couple one valve Baris in the basement myself and know that feeling. And here I thought the "tear inducing" sounds were from my lack of talent. :P Heh, a piston/rotor setup makes even me sound pretty dang good. ^0^

Still want to play one of those one valve beasts at I&E just to show people how it sounds. I'm serious about making a good job of it but hope to be entertaining as well. Safe it AIN'T gonna be. :wub:

And back on topic: Supersops comment on energy and emotion reminds me of what a lot of the non-musical folks back in the 70s used to enjoy. Lot of 'em didn't know music or what a perfect corps was supposed to sound like. But if it hit 'em in the heart everything was cool.