"Everybody's So Serious Today"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remind me now, what "fun" things were cavies, scv, cadets, phantom regiment, etc etc doing back in the 80's.

i can remember quite a few fun things cadets did in the 80's, and also quite a few fun things scv did...phantom was always pretty serious, but they didn't ruin tradition to be serious

remind me now, what "fun" things were cavies, scv, cadets, phantom regiment, etc etc doing back in the 80's.

Magic tricks, for starters. And cool visuals like marching into a tunnel with one color pants, coming out the other end with a different color pair of pants on.

Cavies undulating snake drill.

Just a couple ideas and I haven't even talked about VK or Bridgemen.

Magic tricks, for starters. And cool visuals like marching into a tunnel with one color pants, coming out the other end with a different color pair of pants on.

Cavies undulating snake drill.

Just a couple ideas and I haven't even talked about VK or Bridgemen.

ok, boston crusaders using the shade cubes in 04, cadets using props, crown using singing, bd doing a dance show, cavies having a game of baseball, scv's 04 tunnel, cadets using a batton twirler. those are no different from what you named, you just choose to see them in your own way. im sure i'll hear something along the lines of how amplification is not drum corps, but tell me how doing magic tricks is drum corps.

VK and bridgemen are their own corps. they choose to be the way they are, they are not the standard. if everyone else was like them then who would really care about them so much more than anyone else?

i can remember quite a few fun things cadets did in the 80's, and also quite a few fun things scv did...phantom was always pretty serious, but they didn't ruin tradition to be serious

scv's "fun" things were always part of the show. they did magic tricks, and they were done very seriously. they gave you chills, not giggles.

Corps get caught up in doing this? how about the judging panels require it. Anytime the directors get together with the judging panel to explain their show , means that it is the standard now. Corps can't just make fun shows for the fans, or they won't be around for very long.

The corps themsevles (DCI) decide on the rules/judging and the judges are employed/hired to use this system for judging the shows.

I think that corps staffs having to sitdown and "Explain" their shows is a bit strange. If a concept/show is designed and performed correctly.....staffs should not have to explain anything.

If you have to explain a joke to someone....its probably not a very good joke.....

Triple Forte

So, my wife and I are sitting here in our office while I rush to get my homework done for tonight's assignment (yes, I'm supposed to be doing homework. What, you my mother all of a sudden?). Blue Devils '94 comes up on my iTunes.

My wife turns and asks me, "Is this an alumni corps?"

Now, before you all get ticked off about that question, let me explain why she asked it because it has nothing to do with the quality level of the performance.

When I pointed out that this was '94 BD, my wife made an interesting statement. She said, "Really? There's a level of exuberance you don't hear today because everybody's trying to be so serious. That's why I thought it was something like a senior or alumni corps."

Mind you, my wife has only seen shows from the past four years, both junior and all-age, so performances from '94 are pretty new to her. It's an interesting perspective, though, and I'd like to get your thoughts on the matter.

I feel todays corps "Absolutley" take themselves to serious. And I think "serious" can be lumped in with "boring" to a certain degree. So many corps are worried about performance and execution that entertainment is left out in the cold. The product on the field can be "SO" much more appealing to a wider range of people....but it seems that self-interest is more important.

PS For so many years DCA corps have strived to match DCI corps...well I think when it comes to overall variety and entertainment....DCI corps have a little catching up to do.

Triple Forte

To each their own... I look back at many performances from the 80s, and I see things that some people call "entertaining" that I call "hokey" or "cheesy." At the same time, I find many performance from the past few years that some people call "boring" or "too serious" to be "deep," "thrilling," and "clever."

Drum corps, like any art, is going to evlove and change through the years, and many things are going to appeal to some and repel others. I for one am glad that there are things I can appreciate in every era and that I am entertained by corps of the past and present.