Official Negative Cadets 2007 Topic

Ok, so people have opinions, good or bad, which is what "Freedom of Speech" is all about..............

BUT, this thread, and any others similiar to it, will be watched closely. Before posting, perhaps you'll want to keep the DCP Community Guidelines in mind.

Thanks,

Rich

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why?

A- b/c I did not find the amplified drum speak to be "good." if you got chops, use 'em.

B-b/c I did not find the ballad/voice thing to be "good." Yes, she has a lovely voice....but I'd rather hear her in some fabulous recital hall or theatre, not on the field during a show.

C-I do appreciate the marching and notes that the hornline, drums and pit did play. I appreciate the flagwork and the dedication those members put forth. That does not mean I liked it, or that I have to like it in order to appreciate it.

the things are not equal.... (appreciation and liking something that is) and that is the heart of why this argument comes up OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I understand that liking something and appreciating something are different. By most people's standards the items you have listed about were done well, therefore good. You can appreciate it as being good even if you do not prefer it. Therefore, how can it ruin a show if it is done well? It may not be your favorite, but it certainly isn't a horrible thing to experience.

but what if, for example, the drumspeak was horrible for me?

what if it's the only part of the show I remember b/c I remember how much I didn't like it.

sure, the guy was good at it..... I appreciate his talent. but I also know that if he can do that vocally, he can likely do it on a drum, and I'd MUCH rather have seen that.

Ok, so people have opinions, good or bad, which is what "Freedom of Speech" is all about..............

BUT, this thread, and any others similiar to it, will be watched closely. Before posting, perhaps you'll want to keep the DCP Community Guidelines in mind.

Thanks,

Rich

Well, that's not EXACTLY what "Freedom of Speech" is all about since DCP isn't the government (yet!!!), but point taken. :)

Also, hopefully, if the OP's experiment works, there shouldn't be any "similar" topics at all, as like comments (how did Stef put it -- "ad nauseum, ad infinitum"?) will be constrained to this thread, keeping all others free of negativity !!!!!!

As always, finishing with an OT note -- I'll just wait and see ....

Edited by Liam

more in the spirit of the thread, I agree.... I dont' like amplified voice. wait...I don't much like voice in shows period.

for me, voice in shows just means you don't want me to think on my own. if I need a voice to explain it....then I probably shouldn't watch it.

P.S. exceptions include: BD 2004 is it? the dance one.

so if you can pull exceptions out already, from the mere 3 years it's been allowed...

then i guess you can't say "I don't much like voice in shows period."

so how about we all give the cadets a chance to do their thing?

but what if, for example, the drumspeak was horrible for me?

what if it's the only part of the show I remember b/c I remember how much I didn't like it.

sure, the guy was good at it..... I appreciate his talent. but I also know that if he can do that vocally, he can likely do it on a drum, and I'd MUCH rather have seen that.

The fact that he could have done it on an instrument is irrelevant. Also, one could argue that the use of the voice in this instance is like that of an instrument. You have to isolate it and evaluate it based on what it is. Listen to the drumspeaking, the ensemble difficulty, the rhythmic variety, clarity, etc. Obviously it is done well. So how could that be a horrible experience especially from someone who appreciates music.

Thanks,

Rich

i can't believe this thread is still open.

"here: let's have a preemptive repository for all the bad things people are going to say about the cadets, despite the fact that no one has seen the show or heard the vocals. after all, vocals + anything george hopkins does = sure to be terrible."

the editors have endorsed bashing a show that won't be on the field for six months. way to go.

this thread is, i think, an embarassment to this community and this forum.

so if you can pull exceptions out already, from the mere 3 years it's been allowed...

then i guess you can't say "I don't much like voice in shows period."

so how about we all give the cadets a chance to do their thing?

But she's only pulling one show out of how many that have amped voice in those 3 years and rejecting the rest? Sounds like her statement is well supported to me.

Edited by kusankusho

But she's only pulling one show out of how many that have amped voice in those 3 years and rejecting the rest? Sounds like her statement is well supported to me.

It would.

Amplified voice has been allowed for three years.

In those three years, maybe 6 or 7 shows have included it in some capacity.. and she's already got an exception list going.

Let's all raise a glass for keeping an open mind!!

B)

Stef

just one show....yes....thank you.

and for the record, I did not say I would not give the cadets a fair chance this year. OF COURSE I will...... how on earth can I say "I hate that show" when it's not even close to complete and hasn't even seen the field yet?

so I still stand with, I don't much like it period. (and as originally stated, have the one exception.)

does that mean I'm going to go to shows w/an open mind, hoping to like what I see and being ready to give everyone and everything a chance? again, yes. it's the least I can do for those performing their guts out. :)