Seattle Cascades?

Has anyone heard anything about the Cascades this year? I heard they're getting big numbers this year, but there's nothing of substance on their website except they have open Baritone spots and their guard camp was 'fantastic.'

Any first-hand info about their program or their situation? Cascades have always been the big local corps for me, and I've had quite a few friends involved with them, I always look forward to their shows.

Also heard a rumor that the new staff is ditching the traditional corps song. :huh:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also heard a rumor that the new staff is ditching the traditional corps song. :huh:

dude, dont spread rumors about a corps you dont march or anything.

There are members from the corps that created that tradition all over that staff, FYI the original soloist for Imagine is on staff there, and I SERIOUSLY doubt they would ditch it...

As of last season still they played a modified version of the Lewis Norfleet arrangement of that song, who is back as program coordinator and brass arranger...

New staff? They may be new staff, but most of them are either Cascades Alumni or former staff.

Sorry for the rant....

hey saxmanjames, do I know you? Are you talking about the original soloist as being the soloist from when they had it in their show? Ive heard good things, but also that the vet number is low. I was taught by the staff that is there now and they are great people, i dont see any problems for them this year.

The Cascades are not ditching the "Imagine" corps song. Just because we havent played it at the camps (yet), does not mean it is not on the agenda. The staff in technical sense is not new, but most of them have marched here, or have taught here at some point in their career, and probably would not support those rumors or claims about something they helped create (whenever they did march). "Imagine" was arranged by our current brass caption head, so please--go figure. The hornline is sounding great at this point in the season, much improved over where we were last year.

The Cascades program opener (not of the corps playing it) is also found on their myspace. I am sure a formal "program" announcement will be made in the next few weeks.

Talent is up from last year, the staff is working quite well with each other. There are not a whole lot of vets, but the ones that are there, are the ones who I would have expected to come back and carry on the traditions (Imagine being one of them). While we dont have a high vet return rate, most of the hornline has marched before, so I guess that is a plus in its own way!

Either way, the corps is coming along strong. If there is any year for "redemption" this will probably be it, whether it be 17th, 12th, or whatever.

There, you have first hand information from an alumni, and current brass staff member--who has been at all the camps!

Edited by Matthew

I'm excited for their show this year and it will be interesting to see what Norfleet has in store for them. Best of Luck to Cascades!

hehe, Redemption, good one Matt. I am really excited to see this young corps take the field this summer, definitely gonna have to strap on the old jacket (actually tried it on yesterday, I can't believe I used to be that big!) and take them some refreshments, I feel for the bari/euphs out there when you come to Idaho in July. yuck.

i have a feel this corps is gonna do just fine this summer, from what i've heard the corps is indeed young but full of talent - and I also heard some vets have returned from years long past, which is always good. go scades!

Cascades used Imagine in their 1996 Beatles show, Ryan Braun (sp?) from spokane, wa area, who later marched crossmen and was the trumpet soloist there for 2 years. Heck of a brass player.

As an alumnist and drum corps fan, Cascades are doing just fine up here in the Pacific Northwest. Putting together a very nice show. Not too many vets, but full of talent.

Shawny Shawn

94 Marauders

95, 96, 98, 99 Cascades

97 Blue Knights