Would you?

Well okay then, I guess you'll never go to any DCI show or buy any DCI corps materials...pretty much ever again.

The last DCI shows I went to were in 2000, when I was performing at the shows as a member of CorpsVets. I have not bought any DCI materials since then, either. I thought I made it clear in an earlier post that I withdew my support when the changes to Bb began. At that point, my focus changed to DCA....now, unfortunately, that window of opportunity is shriveling as well. I have supported DCA corps that are still in the key of G, however. When DCA becomes what DCI is, I will no longer support it, either.

It's no biggie....each of those corps, including the junior corps I marched with, died to me when they switched to Bb. I'm just one former consumer of the product that isn't buying what they're selling. I don't expect my feelings to matter to them. I wish they did, but they have made it plain that DCI does not care about those that feel as I do. What are ya gonna do? Remember the times that were good and find another product to buy...DCA for the time being.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is more a question of where our generations stand than even drum corps. What the hell makes an adult the more knowledgable source with the better opinion? Or in this case, the better ######? Just because he's been pisssing longer, and let me tell ya, Gmichael will #### ( AND MOAN) with the best of them. Sorry, I don't think it should just happen to be that way. I'm sure you'll disagree and as mature(sometimes) younger person, I feel you're MORE than entitled to that opinon, but don't tell me that just because he's an adult acting like a child he's in the right. I disagree. In fact, he's ESPECIALLY in the wrong.

You pretty much answered your own question. Just go back and read it. Settle down and think. I am not saying right or wrong. Just think. Oh and use a Little bit of respect. That is earned by the way. JMHO.

Maybe this is more a question of where our generations stand than even drum corps. What the hell makes an adult the more knowledgable source with the better opinion? Or in this case, the better ######? Just because he's been pisssing longer, and let me tell ya, Gmichael will #### ( AND MOAN) with the best of them. Sorry, I don't think it should just happen to be that way. I'm sure you'll disagree and as mature(sometimes) younger person, I feel you're MORE than entitled to that opinon, but don't tell me that just because he's an adult acting like a child he's in the right. I disagree. In fact, he's ESPECIALLY in the wrong.

It's not that I'm "acing like a child" or whining and moaning, you just dont like what I have to say. You disagree. You have a different way of thinking. When you get older, you will know the difference..and maybe learn some respect along with the few others that that think you know it all and everything revolves around your "better" opinion.

~G~

You pretty much answered your own question. Just go back and read it. Settle down and think. I am not saying right or wrong. Just think. Oh and use a Little bit of respect. That is earned by the way. JMHO.
It's not that I'm "acing like a child" or whining and moaning, you just dont like what I have to say. You disagree. You have a different way of thinking. When you get older, you will know the difference..and maybe learn some respect along with the few others that that think you know it all and everything revolves around your "better" opinion.

~G~

That's the automatic answer from an older generation when there's a disagreement with someone younger. That we don't respect you. Where was I disrespectful, or at least, any more so than what was previously laid out there by someone questioning my respect? I don't think I know it all Gmichael and will NEVER claim to. I'm merely fighting for the same respect especially in opinion that you guys seem to think you just get for being the roots. I've said this before, I'll say it again. I know my roots. I know where the drum corps activity has come from. To say I don't respect it would be an absolute joke. Now again I ask, why I respect what was there before me, but the people that were part of the earlier activity don't have to respect me and my version of drum corps. Because it's different? Because it's not what you like? Those are great reasons to not like it or not contribute. But I just don't understand the constant, "I don't like this activity". I march DCA with a lot of grizzled old drum corps people. We don't agree all the time but I can gurantee they'll vouch for me that I am nothing short of respectful for them and drum corps. And the biggest reason, other than a good upbringing, is because I get respect. Give it to earn, that hasn't changed since your parents or whoever taught you.

That's the automatic answer from an older generation when there's a disagreement with someone younger. That we don't respect you. Where was I disrespectful, or at least, any more so than what was previously laid out there by someone questioning my respect? I don't think I know it all Gmichael and will NEVER claim to. I'm merely fighting for the same respect especially in opinion that you guys seem to think you just get for being the roots. I've said this before, I'll say it again. I know my roots. I know where the drum corps activity has come from. To say I don't respect it would be an absolute joke. Now again I ask, why I respect what was there before me, but the people that were part of the earlier activity don't have to respect me and my version of drum corps. Because it's different? Because it's not what you like? Those are great reasons to not like it or not contribute. But I just don't understand the constant, "I don't like this activity". I march DCA with a lot of grizzled old drum corps people. We don't agree all the time but I can gurantee they'll vouch for me that I am nothing short of respectful for them and drum corps. And the biggest reason, other than a good upbringing, is because I get respect. Give it to earn, that hasn't changed since your parents or whoever taught you.

:sshh:

Sure you do, but don't pretend that in your efforts, you are not "helping" the corps to fail.

And somewhere in British Columbia, a youth hockey team struggles without your support. You're helping them fail. And that little-league baseball team in Peoria, and the after-school program in suburban Raleigh - you didn't contribute to them either. You're helping thousands of youth programs fail. How can you sleep at night?

And somewhere in British Columbia, a youth hockey team struggles without your support. You're helping them fail. And that little-league baseball team in Peoria, and the after-school program in suburban Raleigh - you didn't contribute to them either. You're helping thousands of youth programs fail. How can you sleep at night?

Perfect. :)

Electronics may have a place but drum corps is not it.

~G~

I'll take my money and keep it in my pocket.

Gmichael, you are an extremely vocal opponent of amplification, so help me out with this one… do you (and/or others) oppose amplification in general or mostly the use of vocals? If it’s amplification that should trigger a “boycott” at the souvie stands, which is what it seems to be, what I don’t get is why you (and others) opposed to amplification openly praise shows that include amplification (well, generally except for any Cadets’ show). For example, you are a member of the SCV 2005 Appreciation Society and, therefore, promote that show each time you make a post. However, SCV used amplification in 2005 (unless I am completely off-base, but I don’t think I am). You praise Cavies and Phantom from last year in your tag and they too used amplification. Sure, they didn’t use vocals, but they used amplification. Does this mean you are in fact enjoying shows that utilize amplification? An Appreciation Society membership certainly is a huge endorsement to me.

I’m not pro amps nor am I anti-amps; I am not pro-Cadets (e.g., didn’t care for ’06), nor am I anti-Cadets (e.g., absolutely loved ’05)… I just like a good, enjoyable drum corps show, which to me can include amplification. However, it seems to be a contradiction of sorts to promote a boycott on souvenirs from a corps that uses amps, but then openly endorse shows that used amps by including notations of praise each time you make a post. I agree with your assertion you are fully entitled to express your opinion, but it’d resonate more with me (and maybe others) if the inconsistencies didn’t exist. It seems to me when one is such a vocal opponent of amps, he or she should be 100% against the cause. Would you have bought a SCV 2005 souvenir or passed on the t-shirt, but subsequently joined the Appreciation Society? Whether you are buying a t-shirt or endorsing a show in any other fashion, it’s still promoting a show/corps to me, regardless of the financial aspect. This seems very grey to me. What am I missing? Honest, I am not trying to bash on GMichael, so maybe someone else can help me to understand because I see these contradictions on here all the time.

Gmichael, you are an extremely vocal opponent of amplification, so help me out with this one… do you (and/or others) oppose amplification in general or mostly the use of vocals?

I oppose, strongly, the use of vocals and narration through a microphone. I was against amps but decided to approach it with an open mind, the first season. Thank God, that the pit amplified, although sometimes is too loud and obtrusive, desnt bother me in any way, one bit, at all. I dont see the benefits, I marched in the pit, I still see "bad technique, and there are still the same amount of instruments, not a decrease as said in the proposal, but it doesnt effect my enjoyment of shows.

Singing, lead singers, narration, poetry reading, introductions however, are silly, out of place, poorly done, and imo, have no place in drum corps. Electronics will be the last straw, I wont even be around for woodwinds. If it does pass, I'll give it the first year try, but I already know it will be terrible.

And no, you arent bashing, you are always respectful here on DCP.

~G~

oh well G.

I hope you enjoy 2007, because I'm fairly positive that the electronics rule will be passed by 2008.

Enjoy the hot dogs.

~>conner