Idea to boost Div II/III

Ok, In the Div I forum there is a discussion about the new rules that are being voted on this weekend, one of which is to expand the max number of members to 150.

Someone pointed out that this would do nothing but yank 15 more kids out of each div II/III corps.

My response was that to fix the problem of losing kids, simply raise the age out age to 23 for Div II/III, but keep it at 22 for Div I.

At the same time only allow a limited number of Div I age outs ine ach corps ( I said 20, totally random number)

This way you boost the membership of the Div II/III corps without shutting out the younger kids.

Most Div I kids will probably still quit at 22, but if a corps has local kids going away to march Div I, maybe they will march their local Div II/III corps if it gets them one more summer in the sun.

Comments?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, In the Div I forum there is a discussion about the new rules that are being voted on this weekend, one of which is to expand the max number of members to 150.

Someone pointed out that this would do nothing but yank 15 more kids out of each div II/III corps.

My response was that to fix the problem of losing kids, simply raise the age out age to 23 for Div II/III, but keep it at 22 for Div I.

At the same time only allow a limited number of Div I age outs ine ach corps ( I said 20, totally random number)

This way you boost the membership of the Div II/III corps without shutting out the younger kids.

Most Div I kids will probably still quit at 22, but if a corps has local kids going away to march Div I, maybe they will march their local Div II/III corps if it gets them one more summer in the sun.

Comments?

I think overall its a very good idea!

And its neat to hear someone thinkin of way to fix things.

I do think that it would create more of an "Elite" group of div2/3 corps at the end of the day however and that the small struggling div2/3s would stay the same.

Kids who have div 1 experience, (especially vets from multiple years) are not likely to want to be part of a 12 member hornline with minimal talent etc.

Therefore your top 3 or 4 div 2/3s would probably benefit, grow alot, and then after a year or two would probably get that "itch" to apply to be division one.

So in the end, this would be good in the sense that it would probably create more div 1 corps as opposed to growing div2/3.

I still think its a good idea tho!

Tony

I still think that it would be a great idea to require participation in a Div II/III or DCA corps before being allowed to march in Div I.

I still think that it would be a great idea to require participation in a Div II/III or DCA corps before being allowed to march in Div I.

I second that.

This might seem like a practical idea (my son did it), but it will not work as a "rule". Unfortunately, there are too many variables in life, and all this rule may do is force alot of people to never march. There are alot of one-year members today due to parents' finances, school issues, travel difficulties, etc. I think forcing these people to make the decision of marching in just Div. II/III/DCA or nothing during their one possible year would not solve the root problem.

If the Div. II/III corps cannot attract enough members in today's DCI-run environment, then maybe they should consider just going all-age. There are more and more opportunities in DCA today, and every region now seems to have competition opportunities as well. The only other option I see, if they truly cannot survive in the DCI world, is to start their own circuit (i.e., USFL, WFL, etc.).

I wish I thought of that! That is an excellent idea, but than wouldn't that overpopulate divII/III, so in a way there are no more divII/III corps or create a divII/III corps that mostly has 23yr olds and only a few kids who are younger than that. Which than takes away the drum corps experience for many younger kids? Sorry I'm thinking in such a pessimistic view, but it is something to consider

No. The minute requirements/restrictions are placed on where a person MUST march is the day I lose interest in this activity, and I'd assume others would as well.

While it saddens me that Div 2/3 corps struggle finding membership and essentially finances (heck... I was a member of a corps that folded in April because of this kind of situation), I don't think it is something that should require a rule change like this, which is quite drastic in my opinion.

I wish I thought of that! That is an excellent idea, but than wouldn't that overpopulate divII/III, so in a way there are no more divII/III corps or create a divII/III corps that mostly has 23yr olds and only a few kids who are younger than that. Which than takes away the drum corps experience for many younger kids? Sorry I'm thinking in such a pessimistic view, but it is something to consider

If you read the whole proposal, what I said was that each Div II/III corps is only allowed a certain number of 22+ kids. I said 20 of them, but the actual number is not that important. The point is to give a leg up to the Div II/III corps by allowing them to keep a larger membership while still providing an oppurtunity for the younger kids.

Comments?

interesting idea, but how many age-outs from a div I corps will want to "go down" to a II/III? Another thought is how many of those would come with div I egos? I would support this if it were feasible, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work out very well. great idea though..glad to see someone is thinking in box 5

interesting idea, but how many age-outs from a div I corps will want to "go down" to a II/III? Another thought is how many of those would come with div I egos? I would support this if it were feasible, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work out very well. great idea though..glad to see someone is thinking in box 5

another way to think of it is not only allowing div I age outs a chance to march another year, but as allowing div II/III corps members a chance to march an extra season with the corps they are already in.