Woodwinds

...oh, and "educated" should be "educate" in your first phrase.

:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a woodwind player, I say NO.

Woodwinds are not meant to be played on the field. They are meant for concert band and choirs and small ensembles/solos. They arent as loud or as projecting as brass. Brass are the beasts for the fields :)

What's the only good use for an oboe?

Kindling.

What's the difference between an oboe and a bassoon?

The bassoon burns longer.

Euph's > Bassoons x infinity. (and I don't even play one.)

I'm a saxophone major... but wanted to learn a brass instrument so that I could march drum corps..., so I borrowed a mellophone, and away I went.

Rock on, me too! Except I later dropped the music major in favor of computer info. systems. It's always cool to find a like-minded person.

• 1 month later...

Woodwinds burn faster and ruin in the rain. They will never survive drum corps! It's drums, bugles, and guard!!!

Woodwinds burn faster and ruin in the rain. They will never survive drum corps! It's drums, bugles, and guard!!!

Correct on the ability to burn. I suppose if one was stranded in the snow w/ a bunch of clarinets you could make a nice fire and thus possibly avoid (or at least put off) freezing to death.

Other than that can't think of much use at all.

If you've ever had to repair a saxamafone then you know...Adolf Sax was a disciple of the Devil ^0^

Flutes and saxophones are made of metal and most clarinets players use plastic horns on the field because they don’t wanna ruin their wooden Buffets, so, really, none of them will burn. As for the weather, back in high school, I marched soprano/alto sax for 5 years in heat, rain and snow and my horns managed to survive (as did everyone else’s). You don’t have to be a technician to re-seat a popped spring or glue a pad on. Any player that knows his/her instrument could manage simple repairs.

I really don’t think there’s a need to come up with multiple excuses to keep woodwinds out. In my opinion, the simple fact is that the current instrumentation works fine and has no need to be changed. It's not broken, so why fix it?

Edited by jeffro21