Who would win today Cadets or Star

1993 Star of Cadets?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. In 1993, the Cadets beat Star of Indiana to win the DCI Championship. Many think Star's show was ahead of its time. But since then, the activity has changed, and Star's show would be closer to mainstream than it was back then. The question is: In today's drum corps, who would win, The 1993 Cadets or the 1993 Star of Indiana?

• Star of Indiana
    • The Cadets

Thanks - I do not have DVD, and VHS was worn out long ago. I watched finals PBS broadcast in a hotel room in Denver that night, and was shocked at Cadets. :grouphug:

You're welcome. I'm lucky I have both of those outstanding shows on my hard drive. I agree with you though, the Cadets were just amazing that night. :worthy: Any 93 vets from Cadets out there? George must have been giving you guys a raw meat diet that week. True Greatness!

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Star was playing on 2-Valve G Bugles in '93. Put any Cavaliers hornline from the 00's on those horns and they wouldn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell against Star.

Just my opinion, of course.

I'm not sure that they wouldn't stand a chance, afterall, The Cavaliers hornline are extremely talented and very well taught. But, they have a different concept of what a drum corps hornline should sound like. I bet that would show through even on those horrible horns.

3. Either hornline wouldn't stand a chance against The Cavaliers of today.

As much as the Cavaliers hornline is praised I see no reason why the hornlines, given modern equipment, wouldn't have a chance. After all, for all their praise the Cavaliers only have 2 brass trophies (If my calculations are correct) over the past 7 years. An admirable feat no doubt but hardly untouchable.

Major drill problems in the next to last set. They completely blew the front. It was enough, that if I were judging, would have been the deciding factor. It's pretty clear on the tapes

Pretty sure that drill tick cost them the championship. Often the last impression you leave on judges (good or bad) can make a huge impact on their perception of the rest of the show.

There are two possible senerios:

1. They compete on the same sheets as 1993, except the judges and the crowd have 13 more years of experience and will be viewing them with 2007 eyes and ears.

2. They compete on today's sheets.

I'm not sure the results would be different if either senerio was used. That was one of the few years when either corps could have won and you could make a strong case for the other. Most years aren't like that, usually there is a clear champion, a corps that is clearly better than the rest.

Some things to consider though:

1. The activity today more closely resembles the Cadets in terms how they created effect.

2. Stars guard would probably be highly rewarded on the sheets. They would more "world class" than The Cadets.

3. Either hornline wouldn't stand a chance against The Cavaliers of today.

4. The Cadets visual package had much more velocity, which is what we see today in drum corps. Star's had more variety, which is what we see today in higher level high school marching band (think Lawrence Central or Avon)

Here's the thing, it doesn't really matter. Put those 2 corps against each other and each one would probably win half the time. They were very evenly matched, each had strengths. But when it comes right down to it, being different doesn't make you better unless you can perform what you're doing as well as everyone else. Star had basic marching technique problems that year and that was the score that had a huge difference between the 2 corps.

Good Points, I would disagree with you here and there. I wouldn't say "wouldn't stand a chance against The Cavaliers of Today" for the Brass Statement. Yes the Cavaliers are very clean, yes they sound great, but in 2002 and 2006 when they won high brass, they didn't exactly leave 2nd and 3rd place brasslines in the dust. So I think it's a bit of an exaggeration on that.

In today's guard sheets, spatial movement of the guard receives a good amount of credit. Star of Indiana's guard was good, but they did not move their location and spin at the same time like the Cadets did back in 1993. Plus, Star's guard did not do as many unison tosses or feature weapons, which are considered standards of today. Though they had poles, they again did not feature them as greatly in the show.

I'm pretty sure Star was playing on 2-Valve G Bugles in '93. Put any Cavaliers hornline from the 00's on those horns and they wouldn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell against Star.

Just my opinion, of course.

Agree. Both hornlines were killer. I am not all that impressed with the Cavies hornlines of late. They play it awfully safe, if you ask me. Cadets were amazing that year, and Star was ALWAYS amazing. And effing loud, to boot.

I'm not sure that they wouldn't stand a chance, afterall, The Cavaliers hornline are extremely talented and very well taught. But, they have a different concept of what a drum corps hornline should sound like. I bet that would show through even on those horrible horns.

DCP myth #1--G bugles were horrible.

I loved those horns! You could really honk on them.

P.S.: This may suggest a difference in OUR concepts of what a drum corps hornline should sound like. Just curious--did you play on G horns?

Edited by monoemono

DCI myth #1--G bugles were horrible.

I loved those horns! You could really honk on them.

I think DCI had it right when they added the third valve. We didn;t need Bb horns, period. Strictly a financial move that will come back to haunt the activity in the not so distant future.