I DON'T mean to start a huge debate, but...

I was thinking, and we know that one thing is clear. There are two camps of people in the issue of the future of drum and bugle corps: one that would prefer limiting the activity to brass in the key of G, colorguard, and acoustic percussion; and another that prefers the option to allow amplification, electronics, voice, and woodwinds.

Would it be possible to split DCI into two circuits

I don't mean to be rude or to disrespect your opinions or your obvious freedom to post, but I just have to be honest and say that this has already been discussed over and over and over. Why is it you feel that the subject has to keep coming up, and why is it that you see things so black and white?

I have never seen anyone post as often as you do, and so much of what you post are either silly little "who was the best of all time" or "whose fingernails grow longer when playing louder on Saturday night shows in the south" kind of threads. People get tired of this pointless, who cares kind of thread. Are you that bored?

I really wish you would check the archives and do some research about what has been argued, discussed, and suggested before you start something that already exists in other threads. Most of us on DCP already know how most people feel about electronics, amps, singing, woodwinds, etc. It has been beat to death. Your post hasn't exactly found or proposed a new angle on the subject. Splitting DCI into two types of tours has been argued in the past and not-so-distant present. The better discussions will come when all of us--DCI, the fans, staff, alumns--have better facts and figures. When the results of how all these changes truly affect membership and current cultural trends we will have more to discuss. But for now we are getting no where. There are those for and those against, and then there are lots of give me this but not that types. What we truly lack are facts and figures, although there is a lot of theory floating around (including my own).

Sometimes issues need time to settle, to sink in, and sometimes we need to see how this plays out on the field. This thread would bring more to the table in the summer as we all assess what we see and hear, but right now I just get this feeling that you are bored, eager to share your opinion ALL THE TIME, and that you are like 15 or something. RELAX!!!!!!!! Try cutting down to 2 posts a day (not two packs a day).

Jonathan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be rude or to disrespect your opinions or your obvious freedom to post, but I just have to be honest and say that this has already been discussed over and over and over. Why is it you feel that the subject has to keep coming up, and why is it that you see things so black and white?

I have never seen anyone post as often as you do, and so much of what you post are either silly little "who was the best of all time" or "whose fingernails grow longer when playing louder on Saturday night shows in the south" kind of threads. People get tired of this pointless, who cares kind of thread. Are you that bored?

I really wish you would check the archives and do some research about what has been argued, discussed, and suggested before you start something that already exists in other threads. Most of us on DCP already know how most people feel about electronics, amps, singing, woodwinds, etc. It has been beat to death. Your post hasn't exactly found or proposed a new angle on the subject. Splitting DCI into two types of tours has been argued in the past and not-so-distant present. The better discussions will come when all of us--DCI, the fans, staff, alumns--have better facts and figures. When the results of how all these changes truly affect membership and current cultural trends we will have more to discuss. But for now we are getting no where. There are those for and those against, and then there are lots of give me this but not that types. What we truly lack are facts and figures, although there is a lot of theory floating around (including my own).

Sometimes issues need time to settle, to sink in, and sometimes we need to see how this plays out on the field. This thread would bring more to the table in the summer as we all assess what we see and hear, but right now I just get this feeling that you are bored, eager to share your opinion ALL THE TIME, and that you are like 15 or something. RELAX!!!!!!!! Try cutting down to 2 posts a day (not two packs a day).

Jonathan

Don't click the topic?

Wow. I had a question, and I posted to see if I could get an answer.

Just...wow.

Don't click the topic?

Wow. I had a question, and I posted to see if I could get an answer.

Just...wow.

And I answered your question in my own way.

Also, while I am on the subject, here are a few other suggestions for you:

Please stop naming posts "The Official Cadets Negative Comments Thread" or anything of the like. First of all, there is nothing official about your threads. You do not work for DCI, DCP, or any corps, therefore you should not use the word "official" in your thread names. What makes them so official? It's amazing to me that someone who posts 5,000 Cadets threads actually wants to start an official Cadets thread. I don't get it.

Relax!

And I answered your question in my own way.

Also, while I am on the subject, here are a few other suggestions for you:

Please stop naming posts "The Official Cadets Negative Comments Thread" or anything of the like. First of all, there is nothing official about your threads. You do not work for DCI, DCP, or any corps, therefore you should not use the word "official" in your thread names. What makes them so official? It's amazing to me that someone who posts 5,000 Cadets threads actually wants to start an official Cadets thread. I don't get it.

Relax!

Thank you for your suggestions. I do not plan on following any of them.

I'm getting really tired of this:

<<2. Amps, electronics, woodwinds, multi-key, etc.>>

This already exists – its called "marching band." If that's your thing, go do it. If you want to do drum corps, do drum corps. They aren't the same . . . shouldn't be the same . . . so for God's sake – STOP TRYING TO MAKE THEM THE SAME!

(Not addressed to anyone in particular in this thread.)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm pro-multi-key, anti-vocals/singing, anti-electronics, and pro amps.

That said, I view myself as someone who is generally opposed to shows that include vocals and singing, but not necessarily opposed to their inclusion in the DCI rulebook. I thought Bluecoats did a good job of using amped voice in their '05 show, and the Cadets drumspeak was an interesting addition to the show that would've been impossible to achieve without amps.

Edited by TSRTS13

I really wish you would check the archives and do some research about what has been argued, discussed, and suggested before you start something that already exists in other threads.

I know you mean well, but it is often impossible to comply with your request. I've tried to do just what you ask myself (and still do), but two factors make it difficult:

1. The "search" function is extremely limiting.

2. Inactive threads are saved for a limited time and discarded. Thus, many of the discussions you refer to are gone.

Under these limitations, threads like these will tend to be repeated over and over. Sorry.

Man, some people take all this stuff way too seriously :grouphug:

Well, certainly it's possible. Feasible is another question .....

Not sure that there would be enough support --, members, instructors, designers and ticket buying fans -- to support two differenct circuits. MikeD has been advocating two divisions within DCI. BUt would mixed shows really work if all the people at a show would dislike half the shows. (Exagerrating, of course, but just taking my point to the nth degree). Maybe two circuits under one operating umbrella. Again it comes down to splitting an already meager pie a bit too much, IMO.

When DCI formed as seperate circuit much like you're describing, the existing circuits died off -- rather quickly, too. I mean popular sports like football and basketball have seen many attempts at different "circuits" with different rules, all of which have either failed or merged back into one eventually.

So I guess it's possible, but it would have to be so perfectly contrived and would need a major expansion in participants and fans than we currently have for them both to survive. Sorry to say, but I don't see it .....

Actually, there are. There's been talk in the past about how so many kids don't do DCI because of their competitive requirements during the summer for HS Marching Band. So I ask again, why doesn't USSBA or BOA run a full summer schedule that either splits shows with DCI or runs in parallel? They have their anything goes circuit .. and DCI has a Drum and Bugle corps circuit. They can use the same judges even. Schools can use the summer to get a MAJOR head start on the fall .. and semi-pro / collegiate programs can be the big dogs for the BOA/USSBA circuit. There use to be plenty of comp marching band circuits during the summer all over the country... so why not now? Then kids who want to play the BOA stuff can go do semi pro marching band .. and DCI can be Drum and Bugle corps.

NEVER gunna happen.

Think about logistics, finances, interests... DCI can't afford to split. But they CAN afford to add these changes. If you don't like where DCI is going, there is an alternative. DCA! As for me, I like DCI just dandy!

I think you're basing that statement on the presumption that there would be ZERO influx of new units should there be a new division or circuit available. I do see where you're going with it ... I mean ... if Cadets or whomever want to leave DCI and march semi-pro BOA .. so be it. But I think they should have a choice .. and so should the fan$ .. not this one size fits all / take it or leave it rules changes that butcher D&BC.