Why don't the audiences go nuts like they used to?

2003 Phantom is the last real ape #### reaction I remember.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 Phantom is the last real ape #### reaction I remember.

I would classify Phantom 2003 as loud.

Ape####? The last one was the end of Madison's show at 1999 fianls, and before that same corps, 1995 finals. There have been loud ovations, but those are the last two that stick out in my mind as truly ape#### crowd reactions.

1995 Scouts WAS 10x the reaction of 2003 Phantom.

However, I'll hold that of recent shows, '03 Phantom has come the closest.

i was there in 2003- the place just went nuts- those who were there can probably really appreciate the audio editing becuase you could barely make out phantom's last few notes over the roar of the crowd... you would have thought they were going to storm the field... it was that good

Great thread! It comes down to the way things are designed now and the fear of hornlines making mistakes. Corps pre 2001 had a good handle on making the music come first and creating very visceral moments that made the crowd go nuts. Go to any big regional these days, very few people are truly touched by what the corps do. Its sad.

Hence why we narration, so they can tell us what is going on. :P

I say people aren't just going with what they like.

When something happens that I really enjoy, I let them know it.

Then again, perhaps the PC types are too busy telling everyone to shush so they can hear if a corps is actually playing something as if they were in a concert hall and not a stadium.

Gosh, I really miss the crowds that would give it right back to the corps in megavolume. But they were ignorant of all the little musical nuances going on. I think we should ask folks to show their 'Degree in Music" before letting them buy a ticket.

Ray

'Olde Pharte'

those who were there can probably really appreciate the audio editing becuase you could barely make out phantom's last few notes over the roar of the crowd

Too bad that video isn't still around - of the end of the show where the crowd is making the mic distort.

I was in marching band and drum corps in the late 70's-early 80's, drum corps were noted for being loud!!!! and playing music people knew. Thats where they get the POP from the crowd. Todays shows are geared toward the judges to reflect a good score, not the fans. All I can say is Welcom back VK!!!!

<Entire post edited out for brevity>

I'm not sure if you understand the point of the OP's question. The way I understand it is that the OP missed the big hits during a show that caused the audience to scream and jump to their feet, not cheer at the end for the entire performance or chant as a corps enters the field. You have to admit, you just don't hear the entire audience go nuts for a single drill move or the like like we did in years/decades past.