Why don't the audiences go nuts like they used to?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the problem is with you and not the shows.

I majored in Computer Science and I understand what's going on.

IMO the cheering level, at least at shows I attend, is just fine. One thing...band kds habve it 'beat' into them starting in elementary school about proper concert etiquette. It might have some small impact.

I have a DVD of Garfield at the 71 World Open, and a very grainy VHS of 2-7, Anaheim, Blue Rock, and SCV at the same show...the top corps in the country at one of the premier events that summer. The audience reaction at that show was about the same as today, watching the videos. You can see a lot of the crowd in some of the camera shots, given it's placement.

Openingset.jpg

I disagree.

I think too many times people use "emotion" as an excuse to play poorly.

Emotion is great, and I think that corps today still play with emotion and "feel" the music, however they focus the emotion towards playing well instead of playing loud.

I like playing well also. But a concert group just ain't drum corps. Play well, Play loud, and kick ###. That is Drum Corps.

I like playing well also. But a concert group just ain't drum corps. Play well, Play loud, and kick ###. That is Drum Corps.

Yeah but you played in a hornline that liked to break stuff, as in windows.. or was that 80'? :P

Edited by WWonka

I think the style has changed a bit, Hornlines today are playing more complex "artsie" Books. We need to bring back the volume!
Maybe more corps are using musical mechanics (educated in music but that is all), rather than musicians that FEEL the music. I saw it in the old days. We had people that could play the music just as it was written, perfect. But there was no emotion, the flaw that makes it music. The gut emotion that you see as well as hear. Like playing something that you really can't play, But you do it and you play it well, because you don't realize that you can't play it. To put it a better way, sometimes you are only limited by what you THINK is true. If you don't know, then you just do it. I just can't say it better, I am know writer. That is obvious though. ;)

Two INCREDIBLY accurate posts. Even if you think that emotion is used as an excuse to "Play poorly" ... on that point I have to disagree. Fan$ of drum corps go ape**** over raw power ... raw emotion ... that moment when the corps is all walking that fine edge between control and chaos. That's what gets everyone excited. Now .. if you want to call it playing poorly .. go ahead. No, it's not a symphonic sound. But drum and bugle corps didn't become symphonic on a widespread scale until the past 4-5 years. Sure there are examples in the past ... such as Star 93 ... but they were boo'd most of the season for that VERY reason. The reason fan$ yell things like, "Real DRUM CORPS" at the beginning of Madison's 96 show .. is because that's what they expect. Raw power .. energy ... emotion ... ON THE EDGE but still under control. Phantom still tries to teach that concept .. and they are getting there. There honestly was only one show that EXCITED me last season .. ty Crown!!

Yeah but you played in a hornline that liked to break stuff, as in windows.. or was that 80'? :P

Ah, We both broke stuff. The windows thing..................LOL.... :P

In my opinion, you don't have major climaxes in shows like we used to. The design now is different. In the past, certain visual moves would elicit a hearty cheer from the stands, but now the focus is on the entire visual show with very little emphasis on those big impact points.

Look at the Cavies show this past year...there were plenty of moves that years ago would have made the audience stand up and cheer, but today it is too commonplace for the Cavies. Their excellence in marching and the complexity of their drill for the last decade or more has made the fans expect it, not be surprised by it.

I agree, but I think corps today have a better balance of playing loud and playing well.

There is also a larger variety of balances between the two.

Two INCREDIBLY accurate posts. Even if you think that emotion is used as an excuse to "Play poorly" ... on that point I have to disagree. Fan$ of drum corps go ape**** over raw power ... raw emotion ... that moment when the corps is all walking that fine edge between control and chaos. That's what gets everyone excited. Now .. if you want to call it playing poorly .. go ahead. No, it's not a symphonic sound. But drum and bugle corps didn't become symphonic on a widespread scale until the past 4-5 years. Sure there are examples in the past ... such as Star 93 ... but they were boo'd most of the season for that VERY reason. The reason fan$ yell things like, "Real DRUM CORPS" at the beginning of Madison's 96 show .. is because that's what they expect. Raw power .. energy ... emotion ... ON THE EDGE but still under control. Phantom still tries to teach that concept .. and they are getting there. There honestly was only one show that EXCITED me last season .. ty Crown!!

Yeah but to be fair a lot of folks didn't like Star's show, etc. but #### they got loud in some parts of that show. Incrediblly loud. Like the part where they were beating the drums toward the audience and they had that big sustained chord. So I give them their due there.