Rule proposals about new instruments

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large part of Hoppy's arguments about adding other instrument voices has centered on expanding drum corps to allow for more kids to participate (woodwinds players who do not want to have to learn a horn or drums or guard skills to be involved in the activity). Adding other brass instruments would not really help attain this underlying goal.

While I don't agree with including woodwinds for the change it will cause to the sound of drum corps, I commend his desire to expose as many kids as possible to the activity. Too bad most people get so caught up in the method he proposes to reach the goal rather than coming up with alternative ideas on how to keep the unique drum corps sound while finding ways to expose more kids to the experience of being in a corps.

Here's another example of where every aspect of the message gets lost because of people's personal opinion of one aspect of the message or of the messenger himself.

My girlfriend in 88 was a flute player in band. This was going to be my 3rd year at Regiment and she wanted to come with me, so she learned to play trumpet and made the soprano line. Its difficult, but not as hard as many think. Just takes a lot of time and commitment.

In 89 our Drum Major was a flute player, never played a brass instrument. It was his only year in corps.

160962.jpg

That is a Marching Trombone. It looks like a Baritone or a Mellophone but it sounds just like a slide trombone. There was a discussion last year if these would be allowed. I don't see a problem with it because it has 3 valves and is bell front so why not?

This instrument does not sound like a trombone. Period. Personally, I'd love to hear an elite brass section play trombones and maybe F horns in the arc sometime(NO, not advocating this as a rule change). Trombones work pretty well in Blast. Marching baritones are difficult to play at a true "ff" as they go sharp so easily(maybe 1 reason why phantom uses euphs for their tenor low voice). As far as boa bands go I can speak for TX in that Reagan and Churchill will not be abandoning trombones any time soon. 1 band at the TX state marching contest used marching "trombones," they got next to last. I loved playing my g bari when I marched but know I could play my 547 bore trombone much louder.

I swear I saw one of the drum corps this past season with sousaphones (not D I, but in the D II/III area). Which rule says sousaphones are illegal?

You did. Vision Elite.

Of course, I would just die to see the Phantom or Bluecoats tuba section "park and bark" down near the pit with a line of these subcontrabass tubas.

hoffnung.jpg

I would love to see more brass color added. It makes me yearn for my early 80s recordings where corps TRIED to sound different.

Elmo Blatch

Haha, reminds me of trying to play a Besson in my college band. Thing was heavy, and huge.

You did. Vision Elite.

Ok, I knew I saw some pictures somewhere. Thanks for the input!