Profanity/Vulgarity/Word Filter/Circumvention Guideline

That's a bit disingenuous. "F-ed up" is pretty clear. If someone means "fouled up" they will say "fouled up", or any of the other things you said above.

And why should it matter that it was Marc Sylvester? I thought the big underlying complaint was that rules were being applied inconsistently. Carving out an exception for individuals, whether it's Marc, Hoppy, Lee Rudnicki (yeah, like that would happen) or anyone else is counter to the drumbeat for consistency everyone claims to want.

...because, peeps obviously saw that post and came here to comment on it. It brings attention to the issue to the larger DCP audience, rather than just a few of us going back on forth on it here. I was being sensational, for lack of a better word. :P

Since I don't really drop f bombs that often this really has no bearing on me as a poster...but I never saw anything offense even from those who did beforehand.

"Consistency", in its truest sense will never happen...there's no way to apply an equitable standard to every single word here due to context, thread subject and so on. If we're concerned about the under 13 set...most of our traffic hits the "DCI Div I Discussions" area.

There we have:

-sexual discussions

-arguments about homophobia

-personal attacks in almost every thread

-etc.

There is no lock-step "black/white" way you can look at every single member, thread or thought here and police it as such.

I take that back: you can....but if DCP did that (applied the same lock-step guideline following to sex, drug use, controversial subjects, etc that they have to this "#######" stuff) , and turned this into Lollipop land, then you'd lose a lot of posters from all across the demographic. If you're going to come down on vulgarity this hard in order to do it "for the kids", then its time to clean up the rest of DCP accordingly. No more 'Man Thread', no more 'Club DCP', no more talk about underage drinking, drug use, underage sex and so on.

Think we'll have anyone much left here once that happens?

The only thing we can be "consistent" with is a promise to see the moderators, etc use their own good judgement with threads, people and #######'s. These people are moderators for a reason...more than likely because of their good judgement... not because they're good at just enforcing a set of arbitrary things.

Part of this is my own frustration at not knowing the whole story with why this is suddenly a big hot topic issue, I realize...but we've got to really get past this "clamp down/ease up" stuff eventually here on DCP.

Eh. I give up. :lolhit:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously man, What do you have against everyone? Krista didn't break any of the guidelines with her avatar, you do realize you have the "ignore" option. you could ignore her and not have to look at the avatar, or are you attempting to pick fights? Seriously. What's the matter?

Nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She did not break rules. And LLMM did not either. That is my point. Am I picking fights? Heck no. Is that allowed? So you be serious. Ignore works two ways.

It makes sense to post without swearing.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.. now, if you can stop robotically repeating this sentence over and over again and tell us what swearing is, that would be great...mmKayyyyyy? Heck, I'd give you five bucks if, right now, you can give me clear guidelines on what swearing is according to DCP.

Nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She did not break rules. And LLMM did not either. That is my point. Am I picking fights? Heck no. Is that allowed? So you be serious. Ignore works two ways.

Jimi, I appreciate the support you are trying to give, and I understand what you are trying to say (some people would be offended by the pig) but let's not split hairs here. I don't want to #### off the powers that be and they close this thread. I really AM looking for some clarity on this swearing thing and I don't want this thread to get closed.

But rock on, Jimmi, you're my bud.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Seems a little aggregiously (aggregious is my word right now to take the place of the F word) over the top to me.

egregiously :huh: :huh:

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.. now, if you can stop robotically repeating this sentence over and over again and tell us what swearing is, that would be great...mmKayyyyyy? Heck, I'd give you five bucks if, right now, you can give me clear guidelines on what swearing is according to DCP.

####

####

####

####er

##########er

Lots more. Putting little symbols into key parts of those words so that they don't come up like that but can still be understood to be vulgar words is filter circumention. Farked is not swearing. Flubbed is not swearing. Whacked is not swearing. F-ed, as in "that's f-ed up" (yes there's a difference between "that's f-ed" and "that's whacked") or "Lance is a f-ed up MOD" or whatever other example we want to come up with is filter circumvention, no matter how much twisted logic we want to come up with to say well maybe he just means "cheesecake." :huh:

It's not exactly difficult to tell when people are trying to use vulgar language or trying to circumvent the filter, but it does take judgment on the part of FST, without doubt.

Next, ask me what a personal attack is. Is there a finite list of personal attacks out there? Nope. There isn't one for the endlessly invented ways in which a person can be vulgar and/or circumvent the filter. Again, for 99% of posters here, this is not a big deal. It's the 1% who want to be dramatic and basically just do whatever they want that cause the work.

Heck, I did not even think about the pig. Dang good point. ;)

I'll make it simple. We can do a simple yes/no.

WTF

What the F***

What the ####

What the Fark

Fricken

Effin

Mother Truck

A-muthereffing-men

Bull Crap

Bull Excrement

Bull Poop

Bull S***

Bull ####

You don't know your arse from a hole in the ground

beeyotch (yep, I've even seen admins use it)

B_tch (was used in a post two posts away from mine that got me suspended)

B****

#####

Oh my God. (Many MANY people feel that using God's name in vein is vulgar)

LMAO (Used alot. Used alot my our admins. We all know the "A" doesn't stand for Apple)

Darn it. (Rich had mused that using #### for the swear word is like speeding but not getting caught. Are we allowed to use words in place of swear words. --see "crap" Mothertruckers, etc.) Darn it is a substitute for #### it. Just wondering. Same goes for Dang.

Next, ask me what a personal attack is. Is there a finite list of personal attacks out there? Nope. There isn't one for the endlessly invented ways in which a person can be vulgar and/or circumvent the filter. Again, for 99% of posters here, this is not a big deal. It's the 1% who want to be dramatic and basically just do whatever they want that cause the work.

You guys have to explain who it is, what happened, and why, then.

It's going to be as simple as that. I don't really care if posters or specific posts get named...maybe then people will know what not to do by example.

Once that happens, all this becomes a moot point, and this becomes far less of a car wreck than it is now. :)