Language use on DCP

JohnD

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you post and see that something's been filtered, you ought to edit it.

i'm pretty familiar with the guideline, and i don't remember that being in it... how were we supposed to know to do that? i've NEVER been told by a mod to go back and edit my post because "donkey" got filtered.

Emma, I apologize for my post not being clear, the first option you presented was how I meant it.

And despite what people say, there ARE corps that frown on swearing. We cannot control the policy of the corps themselves, but why give an impression on our site that could potentially turn people off at first glance?

i don't disagree with you, but it's a double edged sword. yes, there are -- but there are also ones that don't have policies like that. and then there are people posting who aren't IN a corps. providing only one narrow sliver of that whole spectrum strikes me as a bit silly.

kinda reminds me of what we're currently studying in my education classes.... the censorship that goes on BY teachers towards their students. by presenting a certain curriculum, you are taking away everything that isn't there, and not presenting it as valid of being taught. not a solid concrete analogy, but i am seeing smiliarities.

I'm done with this. I have a good friend to mourn tonight. You guys keep going.

God Bless.

and yes, i realize that's difficult. what EXACTLY was the problem before now? the only ## filled posts were in the off topic forums, which isn't where those hypothetical parents would first be looking. so yeah, its tough to do, but in this case, john and rich made that bed, now figure out how to make it possible to sleep in.

Actually those parents can't search those topics. They have to request it first.

And ya know what Brandon? This site isn't ChurchGroupPlanet. It's Drum Corps Planet. Being in the Renegades, you should be fully versed in profanity, sexual innuendo, and vulgarity.

Hell, your ADMINISTRATION posts on the main page of their website, CONGRATULATIONS for LLMM dropping an F bomb and getting suspended for it.

I do not speak officially for the Renegades, and they don't speak for me. The corps can say what they want on their website, as they are 100% responsible for the content over there. But when Renegades members, or anyone else, post on DCP they are subject to the rules of this forum.

I do not speak officially for the Renegades, and they don't speak for me. The corps can say what they want on their website, as they are 100% responsible for the content over there. But when Renegades members, or anyone else, post on DCP they are subject to the rules of this forum.

You win.

end of story.

folks, that really is the bottom line.

But Lisa didn't do anything wrong! She filtered it!! Why is that wrong?

to me that's more an issue of the poster's problem, not the responsibility of the software or whatever is in place to censor the language...

the ambiguity is what is incredibly frustrating... i'm sure i'm not alone in feeling that clear guidelines would be awesome.

one "##" word in a post -- okay....

five "##" words in a post -- not okay

SOMETHING along those lines, so we can have a fighting chance of knowing how to dance to make the higher powers happy.

and yes, i realize that's difficult. what EXACTLY was the problem before now? the only ## filled posts were in the off topic forums, which isn't where those hypothetical parents would first be looking. so yeah, its tough to do, but in this case, john and rich made that bed, now figure out how to make it possible to sleep in.

So you're advocating enforcement be more robotic? You would prefer that we not take context into judgment?

Glad you could clear that up.