What innovations are left?

This may seem like another discussion, but it seems like all of you are talking about what "additions" are left, not "innovations". To me, innovation is taking what's already been available and doing something with it that's not been done before. Not doing something different because a rule change makes it possible.

So in 2004 when the Cavaliers whistled into mics, that was addition. In 2001 when they designed the musical book around established visual concepts, that was innovation. IMO.

I guess I'm more impressed with seeing or hearing new things that could have been done all along but hadn't been thought of by anyone before.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, yo.... what?

i dont understand. why deos the word "innovation" need to be synonymous with adding new instruments, changing the rules, and adding all sorts of extra technical crap?

if you kept the rules exactly the same for the next 10 years there would still be thousands of ways for drumcorps to go every year. people are asking theses questions every year. "gee, were so innovative, where on earth can we go now?" or "weve done everything in the book, what new depth can we add?" the answer is so easy its not even funny. you can go wherever you want, and do whatever you want. because we havent done everything in the book. and we have no depth, and the majority of dci is usually anything but innovative.

for the most part every show in dci is practically the same. opener, body, ballad, a nebulous area, then a closer. everybody in dci loves to be part of the "norm" and some of the corps that dont usually just have terrible ideas. there is so much more that can be done with a hornline, there is so much more that can be done with a drumline, there is so much more that can be done with a performance squad and three types of implements.

are we so bad at trying new things that we need to add woodwinds and electronic samples so change the feel? that is totally a loosers way out. i dont want to open the whole "is electronics/woodwinds good or bad?" argument becuase thats not the point. if the rules change constantly then there is no way for any measure of consistancy to rise.

im not finished ill be back.

hey, yo.... what?

i dont understand. why deos the word "innovation" need to be synonymous with adding new instruments, changing the rules, and adding all sorts of extra technical crap?

if you kept the rules exactly the same for the next 10 years there would still be thousands of ways for drumcorps to go every year. people are asking theses questions every year. "gee, were so innovative, where on earth can we go now?" or "weve done everything in the book, what new depth can we add?" the answer is so easy its not even funny. you can go wherever you want, and do whatever you want. because we havent done everything in the book. and we have no depth, and the majority of dci is usually anything but innovative.

for the most part every show in dci is practically the same. opener, body, ballad, a nebulous area, then a closer. everybody in dci loves to be part of the "norm" and some of the corps that dont usually just have terrible ideas. there is so much more that can be done with a hornline, there is so much more that can be done with a drumline, there is so much more that can be done with a performance squad and three types of implements.

are we so bad at trying new things that we need to add woodwinds and electronic samples so change the feel? that is totally a loosers way out. i dont want to open the whole "is electronics/woodwinds good or bad?" argument becuase thats not the point. if the rules change constantly then there is no way for any measure of consistancy to rise.

im not finished ill be back.

w/Stp:

Tomita on the Mighty Moog.

Oh wait a minute - too late.....

A string section I guess. You could aspire to play 2nd viola with Devils.

I think an amplified string section would be great. Regiment could put a bunch on a raised platform on the field and really do New World justice!

I think an amplified string section would be great. Regiment could put a bunch on a raised platform on the field and really do New World justice!

You're either sarcastic, or hittin' the crack pipe. I'm guessing the latter... ^0^ b**bs B) :huh::huh: :spit: :huh::huh:

Edited by drumcat