difference between G and Bflat horns...

ok..being a percussion guy, I don't really know the difference between the 2. I've heard on here that the G bugles had a bigger bore, allowing more air to flow through, generating more sound...

couldn't they just make Bflat bugles with a bigger bore? is there anyway to make the bugles like some companies make pistols, i.e., different barrels fit the same gun? Make it so companies like Yamaha and King could make standard horns, but also offer a bigger bore piece that just slides in where the normal piece fits?

is the bore the area where air goes through the valves?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition, the bore is the inside diameter of the small "U-tube" on the side of the valve housing (not sure which valve it is on). I remember that from one of those "how trumpets are made" factory tour videos. :)

Did some one just hit that dead horse laying in the corner? :P

That one what has been discussed a few times. I looked into it a while back because I was curious myself. Others can correct me if I am wrong but:

1) The bores on the G Horns I looked at were larger than the Bb's. So you ask why not just increase the bore. Well part of the reasoning behind the move was to get away from specialty instruments. If you do this the cost goes up.

2) Also something about unison notes and everyone being in one key. The impacts. But Someone else will have to elaborate on that one.

Mike

ok..but...is the "bore" a removable piece? is it something that could be switched out and made bigger easily?

Well it's the bore of the tubing of the horn. I just played one man. I'm not engineer but yeah the bore was bigger and I think there is more conical tubing in the old horns vs cylindrical tubing in the off the shelf concert horns. Someone who knows better will jump in here in a bit I hope and explain it better.

Mike

Edited by WWonka

ok..being a percussion guy, I don't really know the difference between the 2. I've heard on here that the G bugles had a bigger bore, allowing more air to flow through, generating more sound...

couldn't they just make Bflat bugles with a bigger bore? is there anyway to make the bugles like some companies make pistols, i.e., different barrels fit the same gun? Make it so companies like Yamaha and King could make standard horns, but also offer a bigger bore piece that just slides in where the normal piece fits?

is the bore the area where air goes through the valves?

lol a .22lr conversion kit for a Yamaha horn :P

ok..but...is the "bore" a removable piece? is it something that could be switched out and made bigger easily?

"Bore" is a general term for any internal circular opening, whether it be the tubing in a horn, the caliber of a gun, the cross section of a piston in your car's engine.

Like I said earlier the bore designation of a brass instrument is the internal diamter of a specific piece of tubing.

Ok, so a lot of people confuse the Bore (measured from the 2nd vlave slide which is halfway down the horn), and the Bore (the part of the instrument that flares out right before the bell).

No you can't interchange them.

The Bb horns used already have a much larger Bore than standard concert instruments anyway.

The advantage?

Less specialized instruments are made of higher quality because of wider range of distribution and more incentive for instrument makers to make a more quality horn.