1988 .. an incredible year of change

Well, WE were out of the DCI forever at this point. Argonauts became a summer marching band, instead of a drum corps.

I spent the beginning of the next season with Marauders, learning their version of the Dracula story for the field. But it just wasn't the same, and I didn't march the summer at all.

Too bad you didn't march that year. I personally loved the Marauders show that year.

Hated it. Sorry. Good horn line though.

Too bad you didn't march that year. I personally loved the Marauders show that year.

I have this vague memory of them wearing black capes that year?

Can anyone confirm that?

Yup, all of them dressed as Vampires.

Hey Jason,

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember that you guys had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching you at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

Your opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. You came off the line doing some hissing or chanting type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about you guys. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. B)

Hey Jason,

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember that you guys had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching you at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

Your opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. You came off the line doing some hissing or chanting type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about you guys. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. B)

I thought freelancers didn't field in 1988 then came back in 1989 with the ET show.

I thought freelancers didn't field in 1988 then came back in 1989 with the ET show.

They didn't field in 1896, then came back at associate level in 87, then came back strong in 88 with the Williams show, which got them back into finals the next year.

From corpsreps.com

1988 Freelancers - The Music of John Williams

• Adventures on Earth (from E.T.)
  • Yoda's Theme (from Star Wars)
  • Forest Battle
  • Adventures on Earth (from E.T.)

They were on the field in 88 - with a killer show. We traded victories with them all summer. 88 is one of my all time favorite shows from Freelancers. Their opener put the Star of Indiana version of the same tune in 86 to shame. I think I wore out my album from that year I listened to it so much. I really wish audio dounloads would be available for non-finalists from the older years. I would LOVE to listen to this show again.

They didn't field in 1896, then came back at associate level in 87, then came back strong in 88 with the Williams show, which got them back into finals the next year.

Yep I remember now that it was 1986 that they sat out. I guess they weren't on my radar in 1988 because they really weren't challenging us and we were looking forward towards the corps we were trying to catch.