return of the cymbal line?

I would love to see certain corps bring them back, madison, BD, always loved SCVs, glad they hang on.

I have a feeling though that most top corps won't.

More horns will probably be where most corps go.

Personally, I think we got along just fine with 128 members. never saw the need to go to 135 much less 150.

It doesn't give more kids a chance to march, just gives more kids a chance to march with a specific corps.

How about we limit div I to 128, Div II/III to 150?

I agree with cymbals being an entry into corps for kids who didn't play brass.

I am not saying its not a technical part of the show and takes skill, just that kids with no other way in could always apply themselves and get in on a cymbal line.

Sadly, with the pit being able to handle the job, those numbers are better utilized as brass or guard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely LOVE cymbal lines but I doubt they'll make a comeback. Just the opposite if anything...

About the time cymbal lines were going out, pits only had 7-10 members .. now they have how many???? I know I've seen some huge pits but I haven't bothered to count. I fully understand that color guard size has gone up, but there's plenty of room to pull 2 from each section and have a plate line again.

I have to say I really miss Garfields line :(

Does anyone else believe the line, start with the cymbals now, bass line is next. Remember that tympani were on field with 4 to 5 guys marching them. How soon is it until the powers that be place 5 bass drums flat on the pit section and get rid of 4 other marching percussionists. I personally miss the cymbal lines and think that designers are idiots for wanting them gone. I truly believe that a quality cymbal line can bring you .5 to one full point in the GE department. Ie: Madison. Any one of their lines was worth that much. So what section is next? We could just cut down to about 25 people in the pit, one snare, one quad, and one of each horn. Then you could have a 125 member guard. When does the idiocy end?

Edited by 84skyrydr

Does anyone else believe the line, start with the cymbals now, bass line is next. Remember that tympani were on field with 4 to 5 guys marching them. How soon is it until the powers that be place 5 bass drums flat on the pit section and get rid of 4 other marching percussionists.

I remember saying something similar to this on other cymbal threads. Any reason given to move the cymbals to the pit can also be used against any other section. 1 pit player with a rack of toms can easily simulate a bass line, and much more ease and clarity. 2 or 3 snare drummers in the pit would be much cleaner than 9 marching on the field. And for that matter, why do the horns march?

Any reason to move the cymbals to the pit equally applies to every other section.

Does anyone else believe the line, start with the cymbals now, bass line is next. Remember that tympani were on field with 4 to 5 guys marching them. How soon is it until the powers that be place 5 bass drums flat on the pit section and get rid of 4 other marching percussionists.

I really think that tympani and cymbals are vasty different that marching bass drums. In the case of tympani you were playing them incorrectly on the field. They are designed to be played by one person sitting down. Putting them on someone's back and having them move and tune and play as a section is a little rediculous. That change was made simply because it's better to play them in the pit.

I really don't see the need for 6 people to march around the field for an entire show just to satisfy someone's need to have useless visuals when their musical contribution can be moved into the pit.

Marchign bass drums are different. Their musical contribution cannot be duplicated by 1 person in the pit. Their musical voice is distinctive and fits into the total package of the marching section along with the snares and tenors. not having the bass drums march would be like not having a tuba section.