return of the cymbal line?

there is a lot to be said for a good cymbal line.

FIRST: It's a shame that ANY instrument is eliminated as a section and "downsized" into a single representation on the field

SECOND: I know you can put different pitch cymblas in the pit, but the actual crashing IN the field cannot be duplicated, and utilizing

different sized & pitched cymbals is indeed important to full sound

THIRD: The visual ability and attraction of a cymbal line doing good moves is irreplaceable.

Bring them back in earnest.

w/Stp:

(sans the stupid part)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a lot to be said for a good cymbal line.

FIRST: It's a shame that ANY instrument is eliminated as a section and "downsized" into a single representation on the field

SECOND: I know you can put different pitch cymblas in the pit, but the actual crashing IN the field cannot be duplicated, and utilizing

different sized & pitched cymbals is indeed important to full sound

THIRD: The visual ability and attraction of a cymbal line doing good moves is irreplaceable.

Bring them back in earnest.

The Kilties (as an "all age" format example) have had a cymbal line for many years, the last several seasons with 6 players on the field, doing split parts, different size cymbals...cool stuff. The battery staff love the sound, and the visual designer loves that extra visual element.

Does anyone have an answer as to why they were phased out in the first place? I've never understood that. They add a great element, musically and visually!

In the early 90's, corps were tied to 128 members and chose to eliminate their cymbal lines and add to either the hornline or (usually the case) guard. From a musical stand point, it's pretty easy to duplicate and add to a cymbal line's sound by putting a rack of cymbals in the pit. From a visual instructor stand point, it's one less sub-section to deal with.

While I _LOVE_ watching a good cymbal line, and miss the really good/entertaining ones, I have seen way more not-so-great ones and understand the logic in eliminating one. With a good instructor and motivated kids, they are truly an asset to the corps. As much of an asset to warrant cutting down a hornline, or battery, or guard? I don't know.

I would love to see cymbal lines return.

I wonder if WGI will have any impact on them coming back. While many drum corps do not march cymbals, I think it's safe to say most indoor lines DO march them. They are a lot easier to hear inside. And the visual impact of 5 more marchers doing unique things with flashy surfaces is great in indoor. In WGI, cymbals lines are growing. Now whether that will transfer to DCI is another question. With more WGI cymbalists out there, that means there are more players with experience who are able to march and teach. And with the 150 rule passing, the "we need more horns" argument is null. Even if they added 5 cyms, they would still get 10 more horn spots.

Only time will tell. I hope they come back.

I think this is something that should be utilized. There are hundreds, maybe thousands or sounds that can be made with them. Not to mention the visual additions.

I think it would be a great idea to have the cymbal lines return.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands or sounds that can be made with them.

Unfortunately, none of which cannot be made in the pit.

I don't see them making a big resurgence.

Ummmmmmm....... No.

Most will bring 15 more brass, or maybe add a couple to the guard. You'll only see platelines in corps that can't fill brass, or don't have the money to buy the brass instruments needed.

SCV and Crossmen could easily fill their brass line and have the funds for 4 or 5 more horns. It's a long tradition for both of those 2 corps.

I expect to see 70+ hornlines and 40+ in the guard in all of the top 13 or 14 corps.

BackBeat

Also, cymbal lines often provided the "entry-level" position for younger, non- music major enthusiasts to join the activity and often move into other positions in subsequent years as their study and practice allowed their skills and contributions to accumulate over time. This was another benefit of pre-elitist DCI membership.

Also, cymbal lines often provided the "entry-level" position for younger, non- music major enthusiasts to join the activity and often move into other positions in subsequent years as their study and practice allowed their skills and contributions to accumulate over time. This was another benefit of pre-elitist DCI membership.

That wasn't actually the case in recent times. I know it's still that way in high school, but not in drum corps. To make the Crossmen, Glassmen, SCV, Bloo, Spirit, and Colts lines for instance, you had to be there 100% for cymbals. I marched Glassmen and Crossmen, and knew people in those other lines, and I know for a fact that the members of those lines were very committed to cymbals, not just using them as a stepping stone.