Marching Sousaphones

Marching Sousaphones  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Allow marching Sousaphones

• Yes
    • No; keep them out.

I don't want to sound like a dinosaur here, but I really wish corps would stand at attention more often. The beggining set of Cadets 2004 drives me crazy when I watch the DVD...they are stretching, fidgeting, screwing around with their shakos, adjusting their uniforms, all for the sake of NOT standing at attention it seems. This is really unprofessional in my eyes.

I'm from the era where we would finish our on field warmup, walk to our first set, stand at parade rest, and not move until the DM called us to to attention before saluting. It wasn't that long ago.

All you guys that wanted the warm-up time to pass, I think the result will be less of what you desire...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't we need sousaphones to attract the younger crowd? After all, today's kids have grown up with these.

And aren't we excluding people from the activity? Shouldn't a sousaphone player be able to march a division I corps on their chosen instrument?

Indeed. Everyone that has made that same argument for B flats, amplification, electronics, and even woodwinds should be consistent and be making the same argument for this instrument as well, IMO.

Edited by Tekneek

Don't we need sousaphones to attract the younger crowd? After all, today's kids have grown up with these.

And aren't we excluding people from the activity? Shouldn't a sousaphone player be able to march a division I corps on their chosen instrument?

I am assuming this is said tounge-in-cheek. :)

If not; then this logic could be expanded...

-Can I use a motorcycle in a bike race?

-Can I use skates in a foot race?

-Can I use a gun in a boxing match? It is my chosen instrument...

-Can I march NAKED? I was born that way...(which in that case would cause blindness...)

-Can I wheel my baby grand onto the field?

And so on....

See the insanity??? :drool:

Edited by prodigal bari

I'm thinking that not only should Sousaphones be legalized, they should be required! Especially the plastic ones. That way no one will mistake these marching band groups for drum corps. Imagine 10 plastic Sousaphones with letters over their bells spelling out Blue Devils! YEA! Imagine the possibilities the genius show designers could come up with if only we had Sousaphones that can spell.

And really, why should a Sousaphone player have to change his technique to march contra? It's just not fair. The Sousaphone is already made for marching and it's probably even better suited for prancing.

And for those who feel a Sousaphone is not as loud as a contra, well... that never stopped anyone before. AMP IT! Where's MikeD when we need him?

How else will drum corps become truly fulfilled!?!

:)

I'm thinking that not only should Sousaphones be legalized, they should be required! Especially the plastic ones. That way no one will mistake these marching band groups for drum corps. Imagine 10 plastic Sousaphones with letters over their bells spelling out Blue Devils! YEA! Imagine the possibilities the genius show designers could come up with if only we had Sousaphones that can spell.

And really, why should a Sousaphone player have to change his technique to march contra? It's just not fair. The Sousaphone is already made for marching and it's probably even better suited for prancing.

And for those who feel a Sousaphone is not as loud as a contra, well... that never stopped anyone before. AMP IT! Where's MikeD when we need him?

How else will drum corps become truly fulfilled!?!

:)

hehe....prancing....

you can't forget the super blatting possibilities that comes with a sousa!

another reason...(that doesn't really go along at all)

If we play Sousa marches, why not march with Sousas!

I am assuming this is said tounge-in-cheek. :)

If not; then this logic could be expanded...

-Can I use a motorcycle in a bike race?

-Can I use skates in a foot race?

-Can I use a gun in a boxing match? It is my chosen instrument...

-Can I march NAKED? I was born that way...(which in that case would cause blindness...)

-Can I wheel my baby grand onto the field?

And so on....

See the insanity??? :drool:

Answers:

-If you're that guy leading the race, sure.

-Those heelies have become pretty popular...

-You may get in some trouble after, but as long as the mob is on your side...

-What are practices for?

-Give it time... :sshh:

Any time a contra player screws up they should be made to carry a tuba. That way they'll remember their mistakes. :P

I'm saying no just because I've never heard a Sousa sound... "pretty"

and ...

visual nightmare. horn angles???

Actually, that's why we have the (tuning) bits. The horn angle should be adjusted so the bell is forward facing. The bits are used to adjust the angle of the mouthpiece so the horn can be played in a proper and comfortable manner