Marching Sousaphones

Marching Sousaphones  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Allow marching Sousaphones

• Yes
    • No; keep them out.

There was a trend within the band community in the late 70's/early 80's to replace sousaphones (which at the time fiberglass was in vogue...why I have NO idea.. :doh: ) with Bb contra-styled tubas..Unfortunately, the tone quality was questionable, to say the least. (At that time most bands tried to play like 70's drum corps; with some strange results!) They disappeared in the late 80's when the brass sousaphone reappeared.

Today's contras are a LOT better in all areas; and there seems to be a renissance of the instrument in the band activity...although, to be honest, a good sousaphone (Conn 20K IMHO) will actually put out MORE sound with a good player. It just isn't quite as focused; and can be unwieldy at times.

No question; keep the contras!!!

I certainly agree contras are for corps. Sousas aren't all bad, the Conn 20K is a pretty darn good horn. It's hard for me to compare the two right now. I have played a Conn 20K for the past 5yrs and played a Dynasty 4/4 marching tuba for 2 camps. What I have noticed so far:

tone quality:

20K, fatter, rounder

DEG, focused, very direct sound

Valves:

20K, off set, short action <very comfortable>, welded metal valve guides

DEG, standard placement, standard stroke, plastic valve guides, I have small hands and find it difficult to play with good technique (hand in a 'C' position)

Intonation:

20K, low E is flat even when the slide is pushed in all the way, third valve slide needs to be pulled out, low C tends to be sharp.

DEG, middle F (right bellow the staff) is very flat

Bore:

20K, .734"

DEG, .728"

Bell:

20K, 26"

DEG, 19"

weight:

20K, 50lbs

DEG, 24lbs

The 20K is very free blowing. Range of the instrument is very even, eg a low Bb sits as well as the Bb two octaves up (Bb on top of staff)

DEG plays well from pedal Bb up to around C on the staff. The upper register, D on the staff, and up, partials are not as clear, stuffy. The 4th valve helps with the intonation of low C, F and B. The Deg does play well but not as good as I like it to.

Features i would like in a contra/marching tuba

I would def want off set short action valves.

Edited by Penn State

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a tuba player, I would NEVER support sousaphones... #### sousaphones... worst instruments EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Tuba player also,

Agree 100%

The fiberglass variety should be illegal in marching band as well. :doh:

Sousaphones, while useful in the past, have now been relegated to the status of "abomination" by the far superior bell-front marching tuba.

I certainly agree contras are for corps. Sousas aren't all bad, the Conn 20K is a pretty darn good horn. It's hard for me to compare the two right now. I have played a Conn 20K for the past 5yrs and played a Dynasty 4/4 marching tuba for 2 camps. What I have noticed so far:

tone quality:

20K, fatter, rounder

DEG, focused, very direct sound

Valves:

20K, off set, short action <very comfortable>, welded metal valve guides

DEG, standard placement, standard stroke, plastic valve guides, I have small hands and find it difficult to play with good technique (hand in a 'C' position)

Intonation:

20K, low E is flat even when the slide is pushed in all the way, third valve slide needs to be pulled out, low C tends to be sharp.

DEG, middle F (right bellow the staff) is very flat

Bore:

20K, .734"

DEG, .728"

Bell:

20K, 26"

DEG, 19"

weight:

20K, 50lbs

DEG, 24lbs

The 20K is very free blowing. Range of the instrument is very even, eg a low Bb sits as well as the Bb two octaves up (Bb on top of staff)

DEG plays well from pedal Bb up to around C on the staff. The upper register, D on the staff, and up, partials are not as clear, stuffy. The 4th valve helps with the intonation of low C, F and B. The Deg does play well but not as good as I like it to.

Features i would like in a contra/marching tuba

I would def want off set short action valves.

In regard to your tuning problems with the Dynasty horn, those horns were designed for the summer. Hot temperatures should bring those F's right into place!

The upper register in the Dynasty will open up as you learn to relax your air through the horn instead of force it through.

Also keep in mind, 2 camps is not a long time, you have not mastered the horn and its techniques yet.

Vote no on the sousaphones.

Btw, year1buick, why do you have that footer of an incorrect Bernoulli's equation? A couple plus signs are missing.

Good call, I didn't even notice that. There are 3 forms of energy, commonly referred to as "head" in fluid flow:

Pressure head: P

Velocity head: 1/2*pv^2

Potential (gravity) head: pgh

There needs to be a plus sign between the velocity head and potential head on both sides.

Vote no on the sousaphones.

Btw, year1buick, why do you have that footer of an incorrect Bernoulli's equation? A couple plus signs are missing.

I was just goofing one night (got bored...) and pulled the equation out of an old textbook--looked up "Bernoulli" in the index and quickly copied it over. I'd remembered the name (and association with the concept of air "lift") but, obviously, not the equation itself (it was just one of many that were used, and subsequently forgotten, while taking the class two years ago....) If I missed a plus sign--or, apparently, two--well, so be it. :) I'll probably just change to something else (boredom, yet again) rather than spend time fiddling with the equation.

I marched a Contra style tuba in high school 1978.

In regard to your tuning problems with the Dynasty horn, those horns were designed for the summer. Hot temperatures should bring those F's right into place!

It is very true in hot weather the F will become sharp. The rest of the horn will also become sharp, prompting the main tuning slide to be pulled out, thus bringing the other partials into tune (or closer to) while flatening the F. This also an interesting fact you may not know. I've been in touch with Dynasty's Dan Getzen about their products and he informed me that all their horns are developed in side at a constant 70F in their Texas facility. The horns don't hit the field 'till the corps use them.

The upper register in the Dynasty will open up as you learn to relax your air through the horn instead of force it through.

Also keep in mind, 2 camps is not a long time, you have not mastered the horn and its techniques yet.

My only intent was to share my initial impressions of the Dynasty horn. It is a good horn that does have flaws. All horns have their own little quirks, that's why I also included the flaws of the 20K.

Could you please expand on this, I'm having trouble following you:

"The upper register in the Dynasty will open up as you learn to relax your air through the horn instead of force it through."