Is amplification a success?

Amplification, as of Feb 2007  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Has amplification been a success for DCI?

• Yes, it is a success
    • No, it is not a success
    • I have no opinion

I'd like to think it's not as much a success as some of the past "big changes" in drum corps.

For instance...

- the introduction to Bb Horns made it apparent that although they weren't "in your face", the Bb horns definately made a big difference in musicality for the better.

- the innovation of faster and complex drill that occurred in the 80s was a HUGE improvement that laid the blueprints for today's drill.

in comparison to amps, which have had their fair share of problems(as in, working ability), I would say that in some instances they're a success, but not as much as one would think they should have for such a big change.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel there should be a few more choices because it isn't as black and white as that.

First it needs to be divided between amplification of the instruments and addition of narration/singing through microphones.

The singing, poetry reading, narration, voiceovers, drumspeak..etc..etc....just not a good idea. First technically, it has never blended well into the ensemble, it doesnt sound natural and/or inviting. It doesnt enhance the product or aid in the success of the ideas being brought to the audience.

Concept-wise ?? Why ?? Nothing experieced so far has made me scratch my head and say "wow" or walk away with great(er) appreciation of said conceptThe idea of drum and bugle corps, let the music, the istruments, the talent of the humans utilizing these instruments shine and speak through...leave something to the imagination.

"Aqua" ! ...I rest my case.

Now, amplification of the pit instruments is another ball of wax. At first, the idea was horrifying. After implemented, whend one right, it doesnt add or take away from anything. But it also begs the question "Why" ?

Technique hasn't changed, pit size is not smaller, when the corps play en masse, you still dont hear them over the brassline (as you shouldnt) . The problems outweigh the alleged successes. Too many times, tye dont work, are too loud, go in and out. How many times did 04 Crown go silent ?? 04 BAC ?? WHeres the judging of these new things ??

In conclusion, should they get it right it would be to the point of not knowing it was there then it would be fine. Singing/narration/poetry reading needs to be canned, no concept or idea has been good enough to outweight the drawbacks or the silliness. (06 Crossmen worked, but as a gimmic, it wouldnt work again should they do it this year no ??)

~G~

I voted no. The slight benefit gained from improving tone quality of the mallet percussion is far outweighed by the horrendous possibility to use amplified vocals to completely and utterly ruin a drum and bugle corps show.

Amped pit hasn't added or taken away, therefore I wouldn't

call it a success or a failure. Amped voice has been a failure in my opinion, because

it has only been a distraction.