Anyone catch the Super Bowl Halftime Drumline?

Say what you want. Those "bands" sold out the Georgia Dome last week - 67,000 people.

That wasn't the point of the original post or my response to it. Hey, I think these show bands are a very positive thing, and I'm glad they're getting some good PR, but lets use some analysis and really compare exactly WHAT they do, and HOW well they do it. The only logical conclusion, with all due respect, is that they're really not comparable.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band members, themselves, love it too -- they have to, to be as dedicated as they are. The Marching 100's motto is: "Perfection in music, highest quality of character, and precision in marching." They work extremely hard to live up to that. During the August sessions before classes begin, "they do nothing but eat, practice and sleep," Dr. White says. He's serious. Their schedule begins with breakfast at 7 a.m. They rehearse outside on the field from 8 to11. Lunch is from 11 to 1 p.m. Then they practice indoors, in smaller groups, from 1 to 4. Dinner is from 4:30-6. And then they're back on the field rehearsing from 7 to 11 at night.

yes, thats tough....but its August only.

Drum corps is a worse scheadule than this for 3 MONTHS.

Also...I would have killed for a 2 hour lunch break in corps...man, where was that when I needed it?

umm, i would ask if you have ever seen the movie "Drumline" or have any experience with southern college marching bands?

All southern college marching bands are not that style.

Their are many corps style southern college marching bands (ie Alabama, Georgia, LSU, FSU, Auburn, Arkansas, etc...) Infact, these bands are some of the best corps style college bands you will find.

The style you are talking about is called HBCU marching band.

I enjoyed the haftime show. It was probably the best I've seen in a long time. FAMU Marching 100 did a good job!!

Yeah, but with a $million corporate sponsorship that enabled them to sell ALL 60,000+ tix for just $10 each. That, and most of the 10 colleges represented have a fairly large number of alumni living in the Atlanta area who are happy to go out and support their alma mater, especially when it only costs $10 to get in.

OK then it's the corporate sponsorship that THEY have and DCI doesn't.

Maybe DCI should look into corporate sponsorship like that to reduce ticket prices... :)

I guess a presenting sponsor bigger than AJ Wright will be required for that.

My trumpet friend and I are of the opinion that the band was faking the music and that it was previously recorded, seeing as how sync-ing the two sides of the band with a giant stage in the middle and tremendous amplification of the rock band would have been nearly impossible.

But I could be wrong.

Opinion? It's a fact. It was quite obvious that they weren't playing, because 1. you couldn't hear real horns, only synthesized ones and 2. closeup shots revealed horn players with mouthpieces not that close to faces.

But hey, if you're a band director and someone from the Super Bowl calls up and says "we want you to come to the Super Bowl and pretend to play next to Prince, who will be playing and singing", are you going to say no???

Naaa it was junk.

I'll second that!

Back to the original post - what was with the "Bears" & "Colts" drumlines during the creepy pre game show.

I, for one, thought that it sucked that Cirque Du Soliel or whatever those flying freaks call themselves had to ham it up and use the stage and mics and have that shreiking chic singing "One Dram, One Life, One Game" over and over and over and over...

It would have been ok if she wasn't there and the "drumlines" if you will weren't wearing stupid helmets and the such.

I do agree that I bet Hoppy is just steaming mad at the Superbowl for stealing his idea for next years show theme - "Freaks in Pastel"

I like Cadets, I really do, but there becomes a time where you go from "pushing the envelope" or "innovative" to downright wrong.