Classic Countdown Finalists

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine, this time trying to stay away from picks that were shown before. I just couldn't on 91 Star; if 90 Star had been there, it would be a different story, but...

1987 Garfield Cadets

1991 Star of Indiana

1994 Blue Devils

1995 Madison Scouts

2000 The Cavaliers

2003 Phantom Regiment

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

2006 Carolina Crown

That's what happens because you have a lot of youngens who have just recently become obsessed with drum corps and only know what they have seen the past couple years and don't appreciate much below the top 3 or 4, which unfortunately is almost always the same. On the other hand, you have the older (*ducks*) alumni, only want to see stuff from their era, which is also a shame. I really like 75 Scouts, but I've seen it before. I would rather see 88 or 95 (or truthfully 97)

My Pics:

87 Vanguard

88 Scouts

89 Phantom

93 Star

95 Scouts

96 Phantom

00 Cavies

04 Vanguard

I actually think the results are exciting news. The new millenium, despite having had only seven sets of shows, dominated the top 30. Yes, the younger fans are going to be both more tech-savvy and have little to no experience with some of the older shows, but that's irrelevant. Why? Because the results show pretty convincingly that fans still approve of what the current edition of drum corps has to offer. The support is there, and even Cadets 2005 made it in as one of the top 30 vote-getters. Even if I concede the obvious argument that these recent shows are all that some fans know, they enjoy these shows enough to want to see them broadcast again in the theaters. So for all the people that say drum corps is losing fans and the product isn't enjoyable anymore... seems plenty of other fans will disagree.

These results are a rousing endorsement for what corps have accomplished and produced in the 21st century. :)

You make the mistake when you deny that " drum Corps is ( not ) losing fans". Of COURSE they are. And have been for quite some time. Had they not been suffering a huge loss of fans the last 3 decades, the newer and younger fan base brought to the activity the last decade or so by DCI would have naturally shown an INCREASE in attendance at DCI competitions had there not been fan attrition. SEVERE fan attrition. The fact that the attendance levels at best has been essentially flat despite the influx of thousands upon thosands of new fans the last decade or so simply speaks mathmatically to the HUGE losses within the DCI fan base. DCI has been able to REPLACE the lost fans to some degree, but to deny the loss of thousands of long time fans in this activity is simply unsupportable by the mathamatical evidence that makes a compelling case for quite the contrary.

Edited by X DM

They had a rule last year that corps that were chosen the first year were ineligible. This year, they did away with that rule.

I wish they hadn't, because I'd rather have seen all different shows again. As it is, nearly half of the ones we're now voting on were on one of the past two Classic Countdowns.

I had feared this countdown would skew heavily to the 00s and I was right.

I don't think its a sign that those shows are better, its just a sign that a ton of younger fans who only know the 00s are voting.

I honestly can't imagine a kid who only knows the 00 shows wouldn't love 87 cadets or 93 regiment, they just aren't familiar with them and like most people tend to go with what they know.

I am as guilty as anyone. I am not familiar with 97-01 and as a result did not vote for shows in that time frame. I count on others to balance that out with my knowledge of the 80s and early 90s.

I did write DCI and tell them its a HUGE mistake not to say which corps will be shown..

I think everyone should.

I will most likely attend anyway cause I have made friends at the last few countdowns I would like to see again.

However, the thought of paying 17.50 to watch 8 shows from the 00s doesn't appeal to me at all.

You make the mistake when you deny that " drum Corps is ( not ) losing fans". Of COURSE they are. And have been for quite some time. Had they not been suffering a huge loss of fans the last 3 decades, the newer and younger fan base brought to the activity the last decade or so by DCI would have naturally shown an INCREASE in attendance at DCI competitions had there not been fan attrition. SEVERE fan attrition. The fact that the attendance levels at best has been essentially flat despite the influx of thousands upon thosands of new fans the last decade or so simply speaks mathmatically to the HUGE losses within the DCI fan base. DCI has been able to REPLACE the lost fans to some degree, but to deny the loss of thousands of long time fans in this activity is simply unsupportable by the mathamatical evidence that makes a compelling case for quite the contrary.

I make no claim that some fans haven't left. What I think these results refute, though, is the idea that modern drum corps is categorically boring. Some particularly disgruntled fans have expressed such a sentiment on this board many times, implying that their displeasure with current shows is not due to their own personal tastes, but rather that today's shows have no inherent worth. They trumpet the notion that today's shows are unwatchable as an objective truth, rather than a subjective application of their own values. These results fly in the face of that, showing that current shows are indeed enjoyed by a large number of current fans. Fourteen of the shows selected in the top 30 came from the last eight years.

I don't deny that some fans have left. But they've done so because that's the choice they've made, not because its impossible to enjoy current drum corps shows. These shows have entertainment value, and the voting results reflect that.

I had feared this countdown would skew heavily to the 00s and I was right.

I don't think its a sign that those shows are better, its just a sign that a ton of younger fans who only know the 00s are voting.

I honestly can't imagine a kid who only knows the 00 shows wouldn't love 87 cadets or 93 regiment, they just aren't familiar with them and like most people tend to go with what they know.

I agree, those were great shows, and most would love them too once they know about them. But its just as important to note that even if fans only knew about shows from the 2000s, they still cared enough and enjoyed those shows enough to vote for them in large numbers.