Classic Countdown Finalists

Hmmm... so tough....

1983 Garfield Cadets

-Leonard Bernstein is amazing!

1987 Garfield Cadets

-Gotta love the first composer of American-style.

1988 Madison Scouts

-Hot Jazz, Jesus Christ! (oh wait that was 99)

1989 Phantom Regiment

-AMAZING LOW BRASS

1991 Star of Indiana

-George Zingali's finest hour.

1994 Blue Devils

-Best ballad ever.

1996 Phantom Regiment

-Intense! Powerful! Bold! Intowerold!

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

-Incredibly exotic. Incredibly different for Vanguard.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit 1980!? :( I love that show.....

I am also incredibly surprised the bluecoats didnt make a showing :/

And in my opinion, Crown 05 > Crown 06

Remember, the eight finalist corps that will be featured in the 2007 DCI Classic Countdown WILL NOT be announced until you're sitting in the theater on April 26. After the final round of voting ends on Feb. 14, each corps will be ranked according to the performance with the highest number of votes. No individual corps will appear more than once during the Classic Countdown, so you'll be guaranteed to see eight different corps represented on the big screen this spring.

- From DCI.org

Guess you won't know unless you go

Same here. I don't think I 'll be going either. These are shows I've seen and heard lots of times before. No new corps, or shows most have have forgotten about, and may enjoy seeing and hearing. Too many of the same Corps are on here over and over again. It's just getting stale, lame and tiresome by now in my opinion. DCI can only go to the well so many times with these same Corps over and over again at the movies. It's like a movie sequel. Rarely are the gate receipts and attendance as good as the first time we saw the first movie. This is like Part 3 with these these same Corps. I think I'll pass on going this year and save my money... But to each his own.

I understand what you're saying. I really wanted to see some different corps in the top 30......but oh well. :( Why are some of the shows that have been shown in the countdown in the list anyway?? I was kind of bummed when '90 Star of Indiana and '92 Cavaliers didn't make the cut. My votes were for the following:

'89 Santa Clara Vanguard (already been in the countdown)

'91 Star of Indiana (already been in the countdown)

'94 Blue Devils (one of my favorites finally make the cut!!!)

'95 Madison Scouts

'00 Cadets (already been in the countdown)

'01 Glassmen

'04 Santa Clara Vanguard

'06 Carolina Crown

I tried to pick shows I wanted to see that haven't been in the countdown. However, there are ones I would want to see again and they happen to be my favorites. I may ended up going to it anyway just to see who made it because I'm a fan like everyone else.

Go Crown 06!!!!!

I hope it makes it to the big screen this year. It would be a great pay off for a summer of hard work and great people. However, I am a little biased. :)

Yeah, I really want to see them in the countdown.

Edited by gbell211

Not to be all negative about it, I was surprised (in a good way) to see Imago on the short list. That's a great, great show. Underrated! And the soloist was outstanding.

:)

*sigh*

<**>

Oh well. See me not voting or going to the showing.

What? No Sky Ryders? I guess we are forgotten. We'll make them remember next year. :worthy:

Too much Cadets and Cavies left as choices. I was hoping for more variety.

Given what I had to choose from:

80 27th Lancers.................Because I just wanted to see some Old School.

80 Bridgemen....................Because I like the Bridgemen and it's the only choice left for them.

87 Santa Calra Vanguard....Wanted to see this show again. First time I saw Kevlar heads on snares.

88 Madison Scouts..............Almost voted for the 75 show but chose this one for some reason.

89 Phantom Regiment.........Just because they aren't the Cadets

01 Glassmen......................Don't get to see them much. When we competed against them they had a full corps but were still

small fish.

03 Blue Devils.....................Because I like their Color Guard.

04 Cavaliers....................... I Like 007.

I thought the idea was to vote for Corps you don't get to see anymore or don't see often mixed in with some of the Current Big Boy Favorites so I voted accordingly. Non of my 1st choices made the cut.

I'm still taking the day off to watch this event. I like sitting in a comfortable chair eating popcorn with butter or some kind of oil stuff. I'm hoping to get several people from Prairie Sound to join me.

Here's mine....

1980 27th

1987 Garfield

1987 Santa Clara

1994 Blue Devils

1995 Madison

2000 Cavaliers

2006 Phantom

2006 Crown

If you don't vote 2001 Glassmen I will find you!!!! :P

I'd like to offer the following for anyone who says they'll just stay home and watch the shows on their DVDs.

The Classic Countdown is far less about seeing shows on the big screen than it is about getting together with old friends and new friends you just met that night, perhaps going out to dinner before the show, getting together in the lobby, conversing between performances, and in general sharing the joy of experiencing the cameraderie of drum corps weeks before the next season starts.

It's a chance for us to remind ourselves that drum corps is about people more than it is about what happens on the field. It's a chance for us to embrace others who feel the same way about the greatest activity in the world.

Unless you've got a few hundred people in your living room, you won't get that from watching the DVDs.