From Div. II to Div I...

Byron

With everyone's predictions of The Academy having great success in Div I this coming summer...it got me wondering.

Are there other recent (or maybe not-so-recent) examples of a Division II corps moving up to Division I and having great success?

Some "Qualifications":

For these purposes, I'll define "great success" as Top 12...though this is certainly not to take away from the accomplishments of the great corps who are in quarterfinals and semifinals. I'm also going to say "besides Magic," since they were in Division II only because they had been inactive for so long.

With everyone's predictions of The Academy having great success in Div I this coming summer...it got me wondering.

Are there other recent (or maybe not-so-recent) examples of a Division II corps moving up to Division I and having great success?

Some "Qualifications":

For these purposes, I'll define "great success" as Top 12...though this is certainly not to take away from the accomplishments of the great corps who are in quarterfinals and semifinals. I'm also going to say "besides Magic," since they were in Division II only because they had been inactive for so long.

Glassmen were A class finalists in 75 I think

Sky Ryders in 77

Those are the only two I know off the top of my head and only because I had friends marching those corps when I marched in the 80s. They were quite proud of their past

i think Blue Stars qualifies...division III in 2003, to 3rd place in div II in 2005 (didn't even win the division), to 14th in Div I in 2006...first shot in years and they missed finals by only 2 spots. we'll have to see how they place next year to see if they can keep it up, but that's a really really good success if not quite "great" yet, I think.

Edited by tubawarrior

Future finalist corps in A, A60, II and III by year:

Glassmen 5th A

Blue Knights 11th A

Sky Ryders 3rd A

Dutch Boy 4th A

Dutch Boy 1st A

Seattle Cascades 15th A60

Carolina Crown 2nd A

Seattle Cascades - 12th A60

Carolina Crown - 3rd II

Seattle Cascades - 16th II

Carolina Crown - 1st II

Seattle Cascades - 14th II

Seattle Cascades - 17th II

Seattle Cascades - 10th II

Seattle Cascades - 6th II

Seattle Cascades - 9th II

Seattle Cascades - 6th II

Seattle Cascades - 1st III

Seattle Cascades - 2nd II

Magic doesn't count for me either.

I agree with the Blue Stars comment. They had an incrdible finish last year even though they came up just shy of making the finals. This corps is a first class operation, from their director, to their staff, even their food program and transportation arrangments are first class. I hope they continue with their success this year. The Academy appears to be of similar quality. They will do well this year and be a Div 1 corps for many years to come. Best of luck to all the Academy kids this year. Keep your eyes on all those Div 2's out their fielding corps in the range of 125 to 135 members. It won't be long before they make their move as well. It would be great if DIV 1 would be a full 25 corps or so in the next 5 years. Hopefully KK, Capital Reg, and Magic can all be back on the field ASAP!

oops i just re-read original post... sorry

-Weedy

Edited by weedyweidenthal