You be the judge. Re-write history. Part III.

Ok, this one is a little hard:

1. 98.75 2002 Cavaliers

2. 98.60 2004 Blue Devils

3. 98.50 2005 Cadets

4. 98.25 2006 Phantom Regiment

5. 97.00 2000 SCV

6. 94.45 1984 Spirit of Atlanta

7. 93.75 2002 Crossmen

8. 92.95 1992 Blue Knights(That was tough 6 - 8th)

9. 92.10 1988 Velvet Knights

10. 89.05 1987 Bluecoats

11. 87.55 1997 Magic of Orlando

12. 84.45 1993 Colts

Brass: 1 Blue Devils, 2 Phantom , 3 Spirit

Perc : 1 Phantom, 2 Cadets, 3 Blue Devils

Vis : 1 Cavaliers, 2 Cadets, 3 SCV

GE : 1-T Cavaliers, 1-T Cadets

Guard: 1 Blue Devils, 2 Cadets, 3 Spirit

~G~

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll rank the ones I've seen-

1. 2002 Cavaliers, everything but drums

2. 2005 Cadets, drums

3. 2004 Blue Devils, close third

4. 2000 Santa Clara- tie

4. 2006 Phantom Regiment- tie

When I saw this matchup I knew how hard it would be to pick just about every position. But the big matchup is certainly at the top with two 99.15 corps, two amazing 2nd-place corps, and some real tough competition in the 6 to 12 range.

First the battle royale, which has been debated on her many times, the fight between the two highest scoring corps in history. Now the premise is not that these are the two greatest shows ever. I don't think they are because no matter how well they were performed, the term greatest in drum corps must factor in entertainment, performance, and musical/visual emotion and depth. In other words, the artistic side counts. However, we do have two fabulous corps that are duking it out now and here is how I see it.

Brass - 1. Cadets and Blue Devils, 3. Cavaliers, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Percussion 1. Cadets, 2. Cavaliers and Phantom, 4. SCV, 5. Blue Devils

Visual Ensemble 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Blue Devils, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Visual GE - 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Phantom, 4. SCV, 5. Blue Devils

Music GE - 1. Blue Devils, 2. Cavaliers, 3. Cadets, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Music Ensemble - 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Phantom, 4. Blue Devils, 5. SCV

Guard - 1. Cadets and Blue Devils, 3. Cavaliers, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

So according to the captions of the top 5 scores in each, here is how placements came out:

1. Cadets 2005 - Avg. caption placement of 1.71

2. Cavaliers 2002 - Avg. caption placement of 1.85

3. Blue Devils 2004 - Avg. caption placement of 2.8

4. Phantom Regiment 2006 - Avg. caption placement of 3.4

5. Santa Clara Vanguard 2000 - Avg. caption placement of 4.7

the rest of the best are as follows:

6. Spirit of Atlanta 1984 - This was the 2nd to the last time Spirit finished in the top 6 (1986 being the last). A great show featuring Porgy and Bess Overture and Bess, You Is My Woman.

7. Velvet Knights 1988 - Magical Mystery Tour, Part II, this show ends with a rousing rendition of Yankee Doodle Dandee and It's A Grand Ole' Flag.

8. Crossmen 2002 - What a nice horn line. I can still remember hearing Strawberry Soup, and I think I liked it as much as the famous Madison Scout and Blue Devils treatments

9. Blue Knights 1992 - This is essentially the Cadets "America West" show before the Cadets performed it in 1996. Not a cut on either corps, as both gave us that classic Troopers-like quality in this style of show. This one featured Billy The Kid, Red Pony, and Chorale and Shaker Dance.

10. Bluecoats 1987 - This one is a personal favorite for me. It was the first time an Ohio corps made top 12, and it gave the Bluecoats their signature song in Autumn Leaves. A super clean performance on finals night with a show that also featured Body and Soul. Maybe the best jazz show of that evening.

11. Magic of Orlando 1997 - I still remember Magic entering the field with Lil' Liza Jane and then going into When The Saints Go Marching In. What a great intro.

12. Colts 1993 - This was the Colts Four Seasons show, and the signature tune here was Summertime from Porgy and Bess.

As for the big battle at the top, here is some rationale:

- The Cadets likely win this matchup due to an uncanny, unreal level of execution. The show was not everyone's cup of tea, but the level of performance was off-the-charts good. It was close. I had Cadets squeaking by on the strenth of percussion and brass. Yes, the Cavaliers won high brass in 2002 with a great line, but that line would not have beaten Cadets in 2005, nor the Blue Devils of 2004. They managed to beat the 2002 Blue Devils who were not the cleanest of lines, and 2002 Cadets were really rough around the edges. I am not saying the Cavaliers won by default, but the competition that year was not as stiff as it was the next few years in which BD would win brass in 03 and 04, and Cadets in 05 (and I honestly thought Phantom should have won brass in 06). In each case those corps bested excellent Cavalier horn lines, including the amazing James Bond line. This argument is weak I know, but I had to find some area in which we would have the most debate. The other captions seemed more logical to me.

- The demand in the Cadets 05 and Blue Devils 04 brass books also helped in their score

- I thought Cadets deserved percussion, Cavaliers in visual ensemble and GE, and Cadets and BD deserved the guard title. So when facotring these placements it came out with Cadets on top by real slim margins. Slight variations in the numbers in each caption, without changing placement, could alter the top 2 easily.

Well, there you have it.

Another fun top 12.

JW

Brass - 1. Cadets and Blue Devils, 3. Cavaliers, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Percussion 1. Cadets, 2. Cavaliers and Phantom, 4. SCV, 5. Blue Devils

Visual Ensemble 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Blue Devils, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Visual GE - 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Phantom, 4. SCV, 5. Blue Devils

Music GE - 1. Blue Devils, 2. Cavaliers, 3. Cadets, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

Music Ensemble - 1. Cavaliers, 2. Cadets, 3. Phantom, 4. Blue Devils, 5. SCV

Guard - 1. Cadets and Blue Devils, 3. Cavaliers, 4. Phantom, 5. SCV

So according to the captions of the top 5 scores in each, here is how placements came out:

1. Cadets 2005 - Avg. caption placement of 1.71

2. Cavaliers 2002 - Avg. caption placement of 1.85

3. Blue Devils 2004 - Avg. caption placement of 2.8

4. Phantom Regiment 2006 - Avg. caption placement of 3.4

5. Santa Clara Vanguard 2000 - Avg. caption placement of 4.7

As for the big battle at the top, here is some rationale:

- The Cadets likely win this matchup due to an uncanny, unreal level of execution. The show was not everyone's cup of tea, but the level of performance was off-the-charts good. It was close. I had Cadets squeaking by on the strenth of percussion and brass. Yes, the Cavaliers won high brass in 2002 with a great line, but that line would not have beaten Cadets in 2005, nor the Blue Devils of 2004. They managed to beat the 2002 Blue Devils who were not the cleanest of lines, and 2002 Cadets were really rough around the edges. I am not saying the Cavaliers won by default, but the competition that year was not as stiff as it was the next few years in which BD would win brass in 03 and 04, and Cadets in 05 (and I honestly thought Phantom should have won brass in 06). In each case those corps bested excellent Cavalier horn lines, including the amazing James Bond line. This argument is weak I know, but I had to find some area in which we would have the most debate. The other captions seemed more logical to me.

- The demand in the Cadets 05 and Blue Devils 04 brass books also helped in their score

- I thought Cadets deserved percussion, Cavaliers in visual ensemble and GE, and Cadets and BD deserved the guard title. So when facotring these placements it came out with Cadets on top by real slim margins. Slight variations in the numbers in each caption, without changing placement, could alter the top 2 easily.

Well, there you have it.

Another fun top 12.

JW

Awesome post and reasoning!

Yes, the Cavaliers won high brass in 2002 with a great line, but that line would not have beaten Cadets in 2005, nor the Blue Devils of 2004.

I disagree with this . . . Cavaliers 2004 line almost beat Blue Devils (they did beat them in semi-finals) and the 2005 line beat the Cadets for the vast majority of the season.

I have a hard time imagining the 2002 line being beaten by Cadets 05 or Blue Devils 04.

I disagree with this . . . Cavaliers 2004 line almost beat Blue Devils (they did beat them in semi-finals) and the 2005 line beat the Cadets for the vast majority of the season.

I have a hard time imagining the 2002 line being beaten by Cadets 05 or Blue Devils 04.

Yeah, I agree with this, too...why I had Cavies taking the brass title in this one. Cadets had hella demand, but it was just rough enough with the sopranos that Cavies would have beaten them methinks... BD's line is another story, a very very good line also with a lot of demand.

'02 Cavaliers wouldnt touch '04 Blue Devils.

~G~