Midseason Itch...

MHSmirage

the indiana guards are wonderfull.....again!

avon world's "the unaswered question by charles ives is quite the study in existentialism.after veiwing this show i felt like it was the emotional equivalent of seeing the monolith in kubrick's "2001 a space odyssey".their austere soundtrack is extremely difficult to perform to in that it requires exceptional skills and demand where timing is concerned[there is no clearly desernable tempo].the show is certainly a challenge,beyond ther usual comfort zone and they perform it wonderfully.look out for the fantastic "zipper" effect in the opening and the interesting way the guard gravitates repeatedly to the back left corner of the floor.it's design is extremely fresh and contains lots of variety and different speeds.kieth potter has done the staging and the equipment work is written by michael townsend.

center grove world[celebrating well over two decades of being wgi world class finalists]has chosen bartok's sonata for two pianos and percussion.the show is titled "lighten up" and is a nod to and yet the antithesis of their 1999 bartok show titled "on display".

look for the extremely well written equipment work[you will see the music],abstruse layered phrase sharing and flashes of bone dry humor.their approach to such serious music is refreshingly fun,quirky and self deprecatingly witty.

the costuming is very chic haute couture and i beleive tommy keenum has designed them.[i love the nerdy horned rimmed glasses]!this program is under the direction of josh conley and derrick betro and co-collaborators keith potter and michael townsend.

Edited by dugg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw both of these groups at the Dayton Regional. Here are my thoughts:

Avon is doing some really amazing stuff. It boggles the mind how they can be clean with no pulse or tempo at all. And they are doing incredible things incredibly well. However, I thought the music was awful. Ives did some great stuff, but this one of his dogs (at least in my opnion). I'm not sure I can sit through it again; I may wait till the DVD comes out and I can watch it on mute.

I really liked Center Grove. They were a little bit flat at Dayton (the crowd was pretty dead), but I would expect them to bring the house down by WGI. In style and concept, it reminded me very much of their late 90's shows (Joy, Rhapsody, etc.): taking a serious piece of music, and putting a humorous and light-hearted spin on it. As usual, they have style and poise to spare. One thing interesting that I noticed: there are 4 or 5 girls that only do about 30 seconds of equipment in the whole show; they dance almost the entire time. By the way, you are correct about the costumes; they are by Tommy Keenum and the Band Hall.

the indiana guards are wonderfull.....again!

avon world's "the unaswered question .kieth potter has done the staging and the equipment work is written by michael townsend.

An addendum - the staging has been a collaboratve effort spearheaded by guard director Daniel Wiles, with Keith Potter and Leon May. Daniel is also responsible for much of the equipment work, as well as being the creative genius behind the program. What may be most important to note is the quality dance work being performed and the signature moves that the Avon guard exhibits. The dance program is taught by Jenn House - an exceptional instructor and choreographer! I'm sure I've still missed people that deserve credit, but like so many great programs there are many people that make a difference.

forgive my faux pas in not mentioning mr.daniel wiles,avon's director in my previous post.

there can be no doubt that he is the catylyst and primary reason for the success of this superlative world class program[and of course i credit the performers themselves].he also has cultivated an illustrious history in the activity spanning several decades.

mea culpa.

Edited by dugg

Well I am all about Zydeco!! This show really works and seems to be a audience favorite! I personally think that if they keep scoring as they are they will be promoted to world sooner that they think! Also a nother guard that cought me at Dayton was Warren Central.......... b**bs Man was that show great!! They also could find themselves in world at finals!! Avons show was very interesting.......I thought that Ives was on the forbidden list but they must have gotten permission! And Pride of cincinnati was fantastic as usual, they are looking for a title and if they don't peak too soon they could achieve it with their show! And did everyone notice how Imogene Heap is everywhere this year!?

I love her stuff, but didn't expect this many groups in the same year doing it!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the clip I've seen of flanagan.....have to wait for the webcast to really take a gander

i have seen aimachi and they are absolutely incredible!

using sting's "my heart and i" by composer ennio morricone.

to say these performers are fantstic is an understatement.they include crowd favorite baton sensation senshi back once agian as well as women"s world champion chiho.

andy toth and co-collaborator jim moore have created the sublime choreography,micheal gaines is in charge of the entire production and staging.the accomplished technician rosie miller/queen is also a longstanding member of the team.costumes and flags by designer/singer tommy keenum of the band hall.

"beneath the weeping willow" sings sting as we see a giant willow tree center stage.the yin and yang symbols are also present on their floor design and are congruous with the use of pairs,duet's and two's throughout the program.this show is designed so perfectly and the choreography is superb.multi focus momments are smartly staged and every detail of this show is stunning and artistic in it's vision.

you will be amazed at the dexterity and astounding abilities these performers demonstrate,pinpoint perfect toss turnarounds,flawless illusions,flexibility and technique.they are performing breathtaking work at near flawless levels and i know the wgi audience will thrill to their show once again this year.

this astounding ensemble will be the talk of the weekend and are not to be missed!

Edited by dugg

I'm biased :)

Center Stage & Phantom.