The Death of DCI

Just a quick note for discussion;

I've been a DCI fan for more then 25 years, and I feel like something needs to be done or DCI will continue to leave its fans feeling empty and unhappy. Every year, when the corps begin to announce their summer programs I look forward to seeing what's on the menu. I can recall the excitement of hearing a piece of music I was likely familiar while being redone in an explosive and crowd pleasing manner. Those days are long gone now I'm afraid. The traditions of DCI are slowly being bled to death in favor of vocals, electronically enhanced, unrecognizable, and BORING "themed" shows. Ask any fan who's watched DCI for more then 5 years and you'll likely hear the same thing; Something is wrong with DCI. Doesn't any of the current crop of directors remember how people went nuts for SCV when they played Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Le Mer. Anyone remember how the crowd reacted when Phantom Regiment closed their rendition of Dvoraks 9th symphony, Sampson and Delilah. How about any of the BD shows from the late seventies and all of the 80's. On and on I could go recounting the true classics of DCI history, but that's not the point. The real point is this; DCI has become so "artistic" it's boring. No one gets goose bumps watching their favorite corps power through anymore, because the corps are too busy showing us how they can all play the same boring show. Oh sure, everyone plays different music, but for the most part, it all sounds alike now. Everyone wants to win, no one wants to please the crowd anymore. I can't wait for one director to say enough, we're playing something the crowd will love and remember, if the judges like it great, if not, oh well.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I look forward to hearing from current and past corps members to gain their perspective.

PS: Here's my list of the Top 6 DCI shows of all time:

6) 1991 Phantom Regiment

5) 1992 Velvet Knights (not the "cleanest" show ever, but a true crowd pleaser!)

4) 1987 Cadets

3) 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

2) 1986 Blue Devils

1) 1989 Phantom Regiment

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask any fan who's watched DCI for more then 5 years and you'll likely hear the same thing; Something is wrong with DCI.

You won't hear that from me, and I've been watching for over 10 years.

Just like any artform that changes (which is virtually every one), some people are going to feel left behind, while others are going to be excited by the evolution. There's no way around that, as far as I can see. It's just the nature of the beast. Hopefully you can find some enjoyment in the activity, still.

We can discuss this until we're blue in the face, but it's always going to boil down to the same result. Some will rant and rave about how it used to be, some will rant and rave about how it is, and many will appreciate both sides of the coin. It's a discussion that happens every week here.

I don't believe there is a "perhaps" about it. You are wrong.

Watch 2005 Cavaliers, 2005 and 2006 Regiment, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Watch the crowd in the DVD particularly for the 05 Cavies end of the closer. See all that cheering, standing, throwing babies and small kitchen appliances?

See...I'm not dragging back two decades worth of shows...these are just a few examples from the past two years.

Also, record crowds in Atlanta and overall record attendance for the 2006 DCI season...then there's ESPN2 broadcasts bringing in close to 900,000 more viewers.

Now, tell me drum corps is dead.

I've been a DCI fan for more then 25 years, and I feel like something needs to be done or DCI will continue to leave its fans feeling empty and unhappy. Every year, when the corps begin to announce their summer programs I look forward to seeing what's on the menu. I can recall the excitement of hearing a piece of music I was likely familiar while being redone in an explosive and crowd pleasing manner. Those days are long gone now I'm afraid. The traditions of DCI are slowly being bled to death in favor of vocals, electronically enhanced, unrecognizable, and BORING "themed" shows. Ask any fan who's watched DCI for more then 5 years and you'll likely hear the same thing; Something is wrong with DCI. Doesn't any of the current crop of directors remember how people went nuts for SCV when they played Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Le Mer. Anyone remember how the crowd reacted when Phantom Regiment closed their rendition of Dvoraks 9th symphony, Sampson and Delilah. How about any of the BD shows from the late seventies and all of the 80's. On and on I could go recounting the true classics of DCI history, but that's not the point. The real point is this; DCI has become so "artistic" it's boring. No one gets goose bumps watching their favorite corps power through anymore, because the corps are too busy showing us how they can all play the same boring show. Oh sure, everyone plays different music, but for the most part, it all sounds alike now. Everyone wants to win, no one wants to please the crowd anymore. I can't wait for one director to say enough, we're playing something the crowd will love and remember, if the judges like it great, if not, oh well.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I look forward to hearing from current and past corps members to gain their perspective.

PS: Here's my list of the Top 6 DCI shows of all time:

6) 1991 Phantom Regiment

5) 1992 Velvet Knights (not the "cleanest" show ever, but a true crowd pleaser!)

4) 1987 Cadets

3) 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

2) 1986 Blue Devils

1) 1989 Phantom Regiment

This place is sounding more and more like a broken record...and I have been been wathcing DC for 21 years..

Dude..their were boring shows in 1975-1990 too. Do you think the flokds creating the shows don't want to engage the audience? Are you naive.? I can tell you every member of every corps and every staff member loves to get a great reaction out of the audience.

Whether YOU enjoy the show is your issue.

There were plenty of people cheering like crazy in Madison, as there are every year.

PS..as best I can count 9 corps have used amped vocals since 2004, out of 72 possible shows. Thats 12%. Hardly a river of blood.

Edited by tubamann

The only complaining I heard in Madison this year was from a couple of wasted 40-somethings were constantly telling me how "Corps don't play music anymore." I'm not really sure what they were judging that on, since it seemed like they were more focused on the beer in their hand than the show on the field.

I know that I still get up on my feet at the end of a lot of shows. I lost my voice after Phantom 2005! The thing is, like Tom and Tubamann said, These shows are still exciting to many people today. I have heard many shows from the 80s and 90s and they are great, but there is nothing less exciting about the shows today. And I am still going to scream my support for everybody pouring their heart out on that field.

$.02

I won't say there's something wrong with DCI, but the direction they've chosen is one I disagree with. Doesn't mean it's wrong. I don't like broccoli, but I don't think there's something wrong with nature or vegetables in general just because there's broccoli.

DCI has chosen its path. Now it has to sleep in the bed it makes, for better or worse. Nothing any fan says is going change the minds of Hopkins, Gibbs, Fiedler, et al. As the DCP slogan goes: "Don't like it? Leave."

1. Count me out of the group that has watched drum corps for 5 yrs and says there is something wrong with DCI. I love DCI.

2. I have received goosebumps for the following years.

3. saying that no one wants to please the crowd is just asenine.

4. I'm pretty sure, to me atleast, Sprits shows have always been towards the crowds, great recognizable songs, and fan friendly.

all in all, i disagree completely

So that's wrong

I've been a fan of DCI for more than 8 years now, and I've yet to experience a years that leaves me feeling empty or unhappy. Every year I continue to look forward to seeing what each corps has planned for the summer. I still feel excitement when hearing of a new piece of music, especially something I'm unfamiliar with, and hearing how a corps will interpret it. Vocals, amps, and attention to the complete effect of a show from beginning to end have only increased my excitement for what corps are capable of producing. Nothing is wrong with DCI. I remember how people went nuts for Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Bluecoats, and Carolina Crown just last year. I got goosebumps watching each of those shows live, and still do just from watching them on my DVDs.

If you don't, then I'm very sorry. But I will say, as long as you continue to speak in such general and absolute terms about what the crowd enjoys, then there's no "perhaps" about it; I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong. I say that with conviction, because I continue to be entertained, as do the many thousands that continue to pack the stands with me at every show.

Edited by Maedhros