tradition vs. new stuff

tradition vs. new stuff  

116 members have voted

1. 1. being somewhat biased, I'd like to submit this poll...do you favor the new "style" music, or the traditional style music...

• I like the old stuff...malaguena, west side story, etc...emotion and soul...
    • I like the new stuff...incredible difficulty...songs that make you think "how did they play that"?

not trying to spark any fires...(but knowing DCP, the fires will burn regardless...)

I'll say up front that I'm a fan of traditional programs. West Side Story..Porgy and Bess...Jazz shows that have some kind of fluidity...

Just wanna know what the swing of the current DCP poster is...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this really necessary?? you say not meant to spark a fire, but thats all this topic ever does?! I think we know almost everyone's views on the current versus tradition....everyone includes it in every post they make concerning the subject.

But as far as the original question is asking, its not as simple as liking either the classics or the new generation arrangments. I, as I am sure many others, love them both....and you have to realize this newer "hard, how did they play that?" music will some day be classics also. If we kept rehashing old tunes and were all against broadening our selections, then we would never discover more classics to cherish 20 years from now.

why do we have to vote one or the other? why cant i just vote that i like dci? notice i said dci, not drum corps, as not to offend the grey hairs here

oh, and last time i checked, west side story and malaguena make it onto the field almost every year and they are ALWAYS played with emotion and soul just like everything else left on the field.

i didnt vote

Edited by BoxVSoprano

This poll exists so that people can express opinions...and then as usual protocal on DCP, once one expresses his/her opinion, they are immediately attacked because they're not allowed to have that opinion, they must conform and be like everyone else or the large faction of trolls that are on this site can attack them and feel better about themselves and their opinions.

I like both.

Corps past and present have done both things very well while others, both past and present, haven't sold their shows or style so well.

And why can't the current type of music not have emotion and soul?

I don't like every show today but like most.

However, in the past I didn't like every show either.

Edited by shawn craig

There's no third option: "Both are equally appealing to me", so I can't vote.

I like different aspects of each.

I like some improvements such as 3 valves, Multi key lines, etc. But hate others, like electronics and amps.

I don't think the two are neccessarily mutually exclusive.

In my eyes, I think very few shows have made the top 12 without having "emotion and soul" in the last 15 years.

I don't think I've ever heard a drum corps show without emotion our soul. From the smallest Div III corps to the Top 5, every corps puts out all they've got. That's what makes drum corps what it is.