The "balanced" scoring system

Balancing Visual & Music - should it be 50/50?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. The last time judging was overhauled, the concept was to make 50% music, and 50% visual. Do you think that:

• Visual should actually be more than 50% of the score
    • 50/50 seems right to me
    • It should be slightly more towards music; like 51-59% music
    • music is most important, and should be 60% or more of the score
  2. 2. When it comes to the offseason, I more often:

• watch drum corps
    • listen to drum corps
    • watch and listen equally

I've seen the DVDs many times and saw them live six times. Still has the same "not much demand" impact on me throughout this transition and during the entire ballad.

Cool. I know precious little about guard work, and what would qualify as demanding. From your comments, it seemed you might have been cherrypicking specific moments, and missing out on a larger picture. I'm glad that you got to see the show so many times. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In more recent years the only cavaliers show that (IMO) was came close to balancing was 007.

2006 albeit a good show could not (IMO) compare to the 2007 or other Cavaliers championships.

The 2007 Championship? Do you know something we don't? :D Edited by jthomas666

Sorry, thanks for the correction as to the placement of the guard at this point in the show. But I still feel that this should have negatively affected the "demand" score for the guard and positivley affected the GE Visual - as things like this should affect any corps' score equally.

The transition should, again, have NOT added much value to the demand score for the guard but SHOULD have added to the visual GE. I also feel that if only 1/4 of the guard is doing something, like in this transition, there should be less value added to the final score. I felt that the Blue Devils guards used to do this a lot in the 90's where they would have 1/3 to 1/2 of the guard featured up front pretty much throughout the show doing amazing saber and rifle work while the reamining 1/2 to 2/3 were lined up along the back doing generic flag work with small flags.

Back to the 2006 Cavies, after the transition, the entire guard (eventually - gosh that took forever) ended up on rifles and then ended up doing almost nothing during the entire ballad other than some posing and hand stands; oh and a FEW tosses for good measure. And that was for a lot more than 30 seconds! Again, they added to the Visual GE, but there wasn't much demand to add to the guard sheets.

So what exactly is your beef? Cavaliers DID NOT win Color Guard OR GE Visual at finals.

When attempting to discredit The Cavaliers guard design, are you being this critical with the other corps? Like Cadets, who had a good 45 seconds with NO guard on the field at one point (listen to hopkins talk about it on the DVD), or PR, who has their "characters" taking center stage at some points?

Just FYI, I went back and watched Cavaliers again....in my opinion, other than BD, they had the BEST guard design and execution. In fact, many times I felt it was MUCH more effective than BD. But, BD out executed them. Watch the DVD with Fiedlers commentary while watching the guard cam. Pretty intricate detail to what those guys are doing.

This really just seems like another attempt to discredit the Cavaliers. Nice Try.

When I was with a HS band who was being criticized, at one point I heard the head director say "doesn't matter what they are saying, as long as they are talking about you". I am sure the Cavaliers would want to thank you for adding to the press they are getting!

My proposed method

20% = Brass

20% = Percussion

20% = Colorguard

20% = GE

20% = Marching

-------

100%

what is wrong with this method??

absolutely nothing...

what would it mean?

drum corps playing for the fans and sounding good.

I want to see 10 Judges, two in each caption as listed above.

Every judge gets 10 points...PERIOD.

As in the Olympics, the high and low scores are thrown out.

If this were the case last year, it would be interesting to see

what the real outcome of corps placement would have been!

But alas, not all judges carried the same score weight!

Wouldn't THAT make for an interesting season of flip-flopping!

Just as the product on the field has evolved, the judging system has also evolved. We have had many different systems with a variety of weightings over the years.

The thing that sticks out to me is that, no matter which system is being used in any given year, the judges do an incredible job. They are asked to do an exceptionally difficult task and over all these years, as a group, they have been incredibly accurate in ranking the various groups that come before them. In other words, on the whole, they get it right way more than they don't. And, if someone has a quibble about a particular group, year and caption often it is more a matter of personal preference or emphasis than any major discrepancy.