Cadets' closer original source material.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random bit of trivia...

Under the Soviet system of education, they wanted to differentiate themselves and used solfeggio instead of letters to describe specific notes. This still sticks to this day in most of eastern europe.

I've been working with some ensembles over the past several years... and it has been quite maddening/frustrating to have to think/say 'la flat', 'mi sharp', etc. On top of that, A=442.

Ouch.

It should match up with government schools in the states now. La CCCP

Sounds smiliar to the original orchestral stuff from Disney which btw if you have never heard the orchestral version of that show, listen to it.

Cheers, :lol:

Sean

w/Stp:

:) This song sounds good itself. Jay will do well with this song :) I hear parts that the mellos will play for sure :)

When Esperanza played the Jenkins piece, it really sounded like music from a car commercial. Don't worry, I cleared that statement with people who marched that year beforehand.

I really like the music.

It's a good thing I left it on, because the first part was going on and I thought that was pretty much the idea for the rest of it.

Boy was I wrong, I ended up really liking the second part.

That ending gong comes out of nowhere!

I can definitely hear Cadets doing this, I like this direction.

The Chorale will allow for some cool echo horn effects and the second piece just has percussion written all over it. Aeolus will allow for a lot of "parts" of the corps to play soli, interrupted by statements from the "whole" corps. I already see where this fits well to the show concept and will close this theme on an exciting note.

. . .and there are probably umpteen high schools who did a Billy Joel show last year. Who cares?

This has been documented to death, but the Cadets staff had a Mona Shores, a top Michigan competitive band do a trial run of their Zone show. Complete with masks on the back of the band's head for a two-way effect, the giant door and saxophones. Yes, the music was different, but they wanted to see if the concepts were going to work.

Edited because a 'trial' run and a 'trail' run are two totally different concepts.

Edited by OUTrumprano

This has been documented to death, but the Cadets staff had a Mona Shores, a top Michigan competitive band do a trial run of their Zone show. Complete with masks on the back of the band's head for a two-way effect, the giant door and saxophones. Yes, the music was different, but they wanted to see if the concepts were going to work.

Edited because a 'trial' run and a 'trail' run are two totally different concepts.

I am aware. But, to say they had a trial run of the show when the music was completely different doesn't really make sense now does it? Some of you just could not let this go (ahem, cough, GM) during the summer of 05.

My original point in this thread. . .why does it matter what is an original idea anymore when ti comes to drum corps shows? If a corps throws it down on a field and delivers a performance, then I could care less who performed it before.

I am aware. But, to say they had a trial run of the show when the music was completely different doesn't really make sense now does it? Some of you just could not let this go (ahem, cough, GM) during the summer of 05.

My original point in this thread. . .why does it matter what is an original idea anymore when ti comes to drum corps shows? If a corps throws it down on a field and delivers a performance, then I could care less who performed it before.

Totally agree that it doesn't matter if it's been done before, but I think you'd have to agree that there is a difference between playing music that a high school happened to have played and asking a high school to try something for you.

As for my even smaller point, once you know that a visual idea works, the music that you do with it is somewhat inconsequential. Unless you are doing a Led Zeppelin show. Then Metallica music won't cut it. :o)

Hair splitting aside, I do agree with your main point.