Drum Corps Rivalries

I guess some folks check their sense of humor at the door when they show up here.

The Japanese corps comment was merely a humorous(I thought it was) allusion to the fact that the Crusaders have been purported to have a rivalry with just about any corps you can think of.

My post said "I chuckled" at it...... twice. Why did YOU leave YOUR sense of humor at the door ? Chill.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very good friend who marched in the Cavies in the late 70's and he told me stories of a nasty rivalry between the Caveliers and Guardsman. He said it got so bad that nobody from Schaumburg wearing a Guardsman jacket would dare be seen in certain parts of Chicago...and vice versa.

Ya, this was a good one. Just to tick them off I wore my corps jacket to one of their practices; I was dating a hottie in the guard. Even though there were many people in the stands wearing other corps gear, no more then 2 minutes went by and I was asked to leave by thier director..... who I knew.

A lot of it had to do with the fact that the corps were physically so close and there was a fight for talent. Especially during The Dark Years of the Cavaliers. They kicked our butt in the late 70's but we survived the troubled times. They did not.

So, after reading 14 pages of this thread, I have discovered that apparently NOBODY likes the Boston Crusaders and BAC HATES every corps in existence.....I've been around the activity for 30 years and I never knew this.

Enlightened discussion is so.....interesting! :)

Hey Mitch

My friend who marched in the Caveliers in the late 70's was John Legget. He told me of more than a few "physical altercations" with the Guardsmen. One story involved using the buckle from the uniform on a member of that corps from Schaumburg.

So, after reading 14 pages of this thread, I have discovered that apparently NOBODY likes the Boston Crusaders and BAC HATES every corps in existence.....I've been around the activity for 30 years and I never knew this.

Enlightened discussion is so.....interesting! :)

I've been around even longer than 30 years, and BAC has always had to deal with that. Maybe it goes back to the 50's or early 60's when some guy clocked somebody from another corps in a parking lot somewhere (hey, those things happened back then). Drum Corps isn't much like that anymore and BAC is no exception, but I'll bet they still secretly enjoy the reputation. :P

All i know is a certain parade in 1985ish and a delay... due to the BAC skirmish with the people in the stands watching.

THEY don't hate everyone, just cause they had a tough evolution in DCI what they do know is shadowed by their tougher image back in the day, and by tough i mean physical with others. They still look BA... maybe that's the BA in BAC ... or maybe Boston Area to be correct... or whatever they say it means

Edited by thatguywiththehat

BAC and Japan? Check out the 3/1 Forzato on DCI.org.

Perfect timing.

BAC doesn't hate EVERYBODY.

How about Suncoast Sound and Spirit of Atlanta??

For six years in a row, they finished back-to-back in placement at Finals:

1983 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1984 - Spirit 6th, Suncoast 7th

1985 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1986 - Suncoast 5th, Spirit 6th

1987 - Suncoast 9th, Spirit 10th

1988 - Spirit 9th, Suncoast 10th

wow

You forgot 1982

Spirit 12th, Suncoast 13th

Hey Mitch

My friend who marched in the Caveliers in the late 70's was John Legget. He told me of more than a few "physical altercations" with the Guardsmen. One story involved using the buckle from the uniform on a member of that corps from Schaumburg.

I remember reading somewhere that the vets would teach the new guys how to sharpen the edges of the buckle, so that they could use it as a weapon in such altercations.

Hey Mitch

I know John but haven't seen him since we marched. It was hard to miss him on the field because he is, to this day, the darkest African American I have ever known. We use to have fun with it in those days. Much of it probably would be banned in today's corps but John was cool with everything. Of course, to no ones surprise knowing John, he would give us white folk crap back. Which was great. Plus John being a badarse (edited for proper viewing) helped because no one really wanted to mess with him. It was all in fun.

I am not familiar with any specific altercations with The Guardsmen. Only with a few east coast corps back in the 60's when two groups of inner city kids got together and flexed their manhood. Many of the co-ed corps backed off at the last moments before something came to a head purely because the males of those corps were hugely outnumbered two to one. Sometimes three to one. It was when two all males’ corps got together that things really got heated.

Although there was a fight for talent back then, I think much of the hatred toward The Cavaliers from the local corps was due to the fact that we were coming in and "stealing" their women. As I mentioned in my original post, I was at their practice no more then two minutes and was asked to leave. Mostly because of my Cavalier jacket but also because they knew I was dating one of the girls in the guard.

Anyway, there was certainly animosity toward each other but I am not sure if it ever got physical. I was kind of a skinny short dorky kid back then so even if something like this would have happened, I probably would have run the other way.

Edited by dc oldtimer