Phantom - how long till they are considered 'elite'

...you're kidding right>?

Am I?

The corps has the second longest streak for finals appearances (only SCV has been in longer), has averaged a placement of about 5th, and won DCI (something only 8 corps have done)...but people are still asking when to consider the group eite.

Now, if that isn't a sign that the corps just can't get respect, I don't know what is.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider anything in the top 6 elite, only because they get the special treatment on the DVD's. :)

I would consider the elite corps to be Blue Devils, Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, and Cavaliers.

In the next group down would be Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, and Star Of Indiana. These are corps that have been oh so close to elite. Star probably would have been there if they had stuck around a couple more years. Phantom and Scouts have shown too much inconsistency over the years. Both amazing corps, just not quite to the consistency level of those top 4 elite corps.

OK, out of pure curiousity, I figured out the top corps average finish since 1974.

I chose 74 as this thread is about Regiment and that was their first year in finals.

I figured I would see how they stacked up against the others in that time frame, from 74 to now.

SO, here are average DCI finish for the following corps.

Make your own decisions about what the numbers do, or do not mean in any way you choose.

1: Blue Devils avg. 2.57

2: Santa Clara Vanguard avg 3.45

3: Phantom Regiment avg 4.94

4: Cavaliers avg 5.00

5: Cadets avg 5.09

6: Madison Scouts avg 5.96

OK, out of pure curiousity, I figured out the top corps average finish since 1974.

I chose 74 as this thread is about Regiment and that was their first year in finals.

I figured I would see how they stacked up against the others in that time frame, from 74 to now.

SO, here are average DCI finish for the following corps.

Make your own decisions about what the numbers do, or do not mean in any way you choose.

I guess those numbers can be good or bad. depending on what they are intended for. if we're trying to get elite out of those numbers, then elite needs to be defined as from 74 to current, or is the OP talking about recent dates 00 through current?

1996 was a tie. Remember?

That's the "Rodney Dangerfield" proof I was looking for! :)

How did you factor in the fact that some of those corps weren't in finals every year that PR was?

I swear, Regiment is (and probably always will be) the Rodney Dangerfield of drum corps.

...Yeah, nobody respects the phantom regiment