Phantom - how long till they are considered 'elite'

well before 2004, the last X amount of yrs it was only BD, Cadets and Cavies in the top 3, to me thats elite. elite is something you can count on most if not all of the times. if cavies took 6th this year it would be a shock to people, but PR has had big drops before and that stigma still remains (just like the bad visual stigma)... so i guess im asking when they will just be expected to be top 3/top4

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear, Regiment is (and probably always will be) the Rodney Dangerfield of drum corps.

Let me interject this, since everyone has an opinion, why not me too...

Like I said before, elite is totally subjective. But if elite is defined as a team that could win, and I think in drum corps, since only 8 teams have won this would be good company, then Phantom is elite.

Effectively if you said who could win in 2007, it would be reasonable to assume that a past champion would win. Phantom is the last new champ, and that was 1996. (Think about that for a moment.)

That said, no one in the drum corps community would be utterly shocked if Regiment won. Maybe a pleasant surprise, etc. etc., but no one would be going out of their minds as though, say, Glassmen won DCI in 2007. No dis on glass; they're just not a former champ.

So if you believe that a corps is to be elite by that standard, Regiment meets the mark. If you are judging by multiple titles, or some other standard, well, that's up to you.

Weren't The Cadets the ones that were in and out of finals through the mid and late 70s and then quickly rose in a few years to win in 83 and 84? From what I have heard, fans thought it was a joke that they would rise then and at such a quick pace?! Who is to say that wont happen with the Bluecoats? Don't get me wrong, I am not predicting anything! BUT! It certainly could be a posibility.

Edited by idlethreats

Who is to say that wont happen with the Bluecoats?

Because they didn't do it - Cadets and Star rose FAST and stayed there. 'Coats have been rising gradually over a LONG time.

Lets see:

Bluecoats - have been in finals for 6 consecutive years - peaking at 4th

Cadets (1980-1983) - 4 years after entering finals they won.

Star - did it in 7 years (first 7 they existed)

The Bluecoats would have to win next year to match Stars record (and even then, its not quite as impressive as winning in your first 7 seasons).

Cadets (1980-1983) - 4 years after entering finals they won.

You mean after 4 consecutive years in finals? They made finals twice in the 70's.

Star was headed by a huge corporate business, plus the members were made up of folded corps like Suncoast Sound..

Plus to be innovative today, is .........yeah...

The only real thing you have to back you up is that Star won and Cadets have won(several times), but if you go back to when this was going on, i garuntee you people had the same attitude you do right now.....

same story, different decade...