The Real Reason ?

Is the real reason corps, for the most part, do'nt play music that evrybody knows because the royalties they would have to pay ? (Thanks Garth Brooks ! <**> ) What do you think ?

But once a corps plays something, it's not unkwown to the fans.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think royalties are a factor, but not a large one.

The only instance where I know it has had an impact is when a corps wants to play Carmina Burana.

The Orff estate still holds the rights and can be very picky about who they allow to use the music.

Other than that I am not really aware of problems.

I know Chick Corea was thrilled in 94 when BD won with My Spanish Heart.

More often than not I think artists are happy for the exposure of their music as long as its treated with respect.

And therein lies the problem--not many people still around to be thrilled when Phantom Regiment plays their music!

Nice thing is, even when it's slaughtered with a silly theme, everybody recognizes Beethoven! Now, don't go and hijack the thread just because I say Beethoven was sane. Arrogant, but sane. I'll bet your corps didn't have to pay a penny in royalties, now did they? Another corps did some silly theme using the 9th several years ago. I keep waiting on Cavies to do a Beethoven theme--wow! (Note: I didn't say Phantom Regiment)

I have a whole CD collection of music in the public domain that is fair game for DCI. And wouldn't you know, some of it is actually decent music, too! Something you can hum to and remember after one viewing!

This SHOULDN'T be a big issue, but if you're wanting to play new music by a composer who is still kicking, it probably is. (What is the obsession with "new?" What about "GREAT!") Maybe if MOST of them would re-learn what a melody is and write music that audiences WANT to listen to, it wouldn't be a big issue when the top 12 plays their music. We'd recognize it, they would get more exposure in a 3-month season than in a 30-year career, and we'd talk about their shows on this forum long after they were dead! And they'd make a little bit of money when a corps plays their show, but they'd be able to RETIRE when the marching bands get hold of it! Cindy McTee has made a career out of silly little junior high tunes composed in rapid succession and mass quantity. But I couldn't name one of her tunes if I had to. OK, maybe "The Red Pony," but I'm not even sure that is hers.

Re-visit Cadets '92-'93. Very good adaptation of pretty decent "new" music. 2-1, and two very good shows to boot. Must be 'cuz the composer is from Texas.

I don't see why this is an issue at all, actually. Composers should GIVE their music to drum corps to play for just that reason. When corps perform music, high school band-O's perform their music. If not in marching band, then on stage. And there is no shortage of quality bands able to pay the royalties to buy music for performance! Think of it as free advertising. Orff, too--can you imagine how many bands would want to perform Carmina if they saw Phantom Regiment perform it? (just had to put that in there)

Dang, I hate having such a good business brain sometimes. (humble, too!)

I like it. I think the Cavies could pull it off.

Have the guard dress as cowboys and do the "achy breaky"

They could even have two guard members dress as Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist.

Hot!

:P

I never saw the movie--what was the soundtrack to "Brokeback Mountain" like??? That's new!

<retreats hastily to an undiscovered island in the South Pacific with flame retardant gear into steel-reinforced concrete bunker>

Edit: Rut-Roh--thanks for the '99 Cavies referral--I was out of the activity and still haven't seen it--I'll check it out!

(see, I'm not anti-Cavies--just like a good joke every now and then! Have to respect quality.)

Edited by silvertrombone

I don't see why this is an issue at all, actually. Composers should GIVE their music to drum corps to play for just that reason. When corps perform music, high school band-O's perform their music. If not in marching band, then on stage. And there is no shortage of quality bands able to pay the royalties to buy music for performance! Think of it as free advertising. Orff, too--can you imagine how many bands would want to perform Carmina if they saw Phantom Regiment perform it? (just had to put that in there)

So you/re saying a composer should not profit from his labors?? If that were the case, no rock band would wver make money....sorry, you got paid already for your song...get to work and make more.

Individual composers of all genres can define under what circumstances their music can be performed by others. Some are very restrictive (John William's infamous $500 per measure or teh beatles' fees), while others are easy (when i was running Nightfire I got permission to use the Stan Kentonn chart 23 degrees north, 82 degrees west, the only condition was that the composer's name was to be listed as "William" Russo rather than the more common "Bill" Russo. And a couple of years back I contacted Robert Smith about using the 85 verson of suncoast Sound's "Midnight in Miami." he had no prpoblem giving permission to use it, but was unable to supply copies of the charts because they'd been lost in a storm.

You either suck it up and pay the fees itf it's not a killer, or you find something else to play...but don't try and de,and that an artist GIVE you a chart that they sweat blood on.

So you/re saying a composer should not profit from his labors?? If that were the case, no rock band would wver make money....sorry, you got paid already for your song...get to work and make more.

Individual composers of all genres can define under what circumstances their music can be performed by others. Some are very restrictive (John William's infamous $500 per measure or teh beatles' fees), while others are easy (when i was running Nightfire I got permission to use the Stan Kentonn chart 23 degrees north, 82 degrees west, the only condition was that the composer's name was to be listed as "William" Russo rather than the more common "Bill" Russo. And a couple of years back I contacted Robert Smith about using the 85 verson of suncoast Sound's "Midnight in Miami." he had no prpoblem giving permission to use it, but was unable to supply copies of the charts because they'd been lost in a storm.

You either suck it up and pay the fees itf it's not a killer, or you find something else to play...but don't try and de,and that an artist GIVE you a chart that they sweat blood on.

I don't think they were suggesting DEMANDING rights from composers. Perhaps going to them and asking nicely, and explaining how many band teachers and students will hear their music either live for a summer or on DVD for years to come. Kind of like an endorsement deal. Drum companies give you drums at a discount, shoe companies give you shoes at a discount, composers can give you music at a discount. John Williams and The Beatles obviously don't need drum corps to help promote their music, so of course they can set their fees pretty high.

Also i think because if the people know the music the corps is playing then they will be more able to notice mistakes. :beer:

Is the real reason corps, for the most part, do'nt play music that evrybody knows because the royalties they would have to pay ? (Thanks Garth Brooks ! <**> ) What do you think ?

No, I do not think that the corps take this into consideration at all. There may be exceptions but as long as the music is available, it is fair game.

The royalties that would be due to a composer (or any other copyright holders) would mostly be the result of DVD and CD sales or from the live performances. Because most of the products sold and events held are DCI products and events, then DCI would pay the fees - not the corps. Based on this, almost any piece of music is going to have the same cost to the corps as almost any other piece of music.

I don't think they were suggesting DEMANDING rights from composers. Perhaps going to them and asking nicely, and explaining how many band teachers and students will hear their music either live for a summer or on DVD for years to come. Kind of like an endorsement deal. Drum companies give you drums at a discount, shoe companies give you shoes at a discount, composers can give you music at a discount. John Williams and The Beatles obviously don't need drum corps to help promote their music, so of course they can set their fees pretty high.

Thank you. BTW, John Williams allowed Randy Bass, director of Dallas' Metropolitan Winds, to arrange both Star Wars and Superman for our exclusive performance uses. MW is a Dallas community band--quite good!--and we have premiered SEVERAL movie scores not performed since the movies were released. Mostly obscure stuff, but stuff that was recorded then buried. Also played Blazing Saddles, "Lost in Space" season 1,2,3, and "Tiny Toons."

Are we even sure that these composers even KNOW about DC enough to understand the value of performances of their music? (Well, mabye John and George.... :P )

Have to remember, also, that the Beatles' catalogue was bought by another notoriusly huge pop star who probably could not get cleared to work a youth group....

"EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!"

:sshh: