The Real Reason ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think you're right, it's definitely a factor, and some stuff it's impossible to get permission to arrange no matter how much you pay.

Is the real reason corps, for the most part, do'nt play music that evrybody knows because the royalties they would have to pay ? (Thanks Garth Brooks ! <**> ) What do you think ?

I know! How many drum corps fans wouldn't wanna see Garth Brooks or Billy Ray Cyrus on the field!!

ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck

Is the real reason corps, for the most part, do'nt play music that evrybody knows because the royalties they would have to pay ? (Thanks Garth Brooks ! <**> ) What do you think ?

No..that has little or nothing do with it.

Just because a corps doesn't play well known music doesn't mean that the piece is not worthy to be on the field. If a corps gives you good moments (brass, percussion and vis) and entertains you, who gives a flip if you've heard of the music they are doing?

I can see that being an issue, but not the entire issue. Yes, royalties for many "pop" stars are very high-The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and countless others-but there is also the faction of composers such as Johan DeMeij, Philip Sparke, and countless others who make it more difficult to play their music. Yes, all of this music has been done, and much of it during the copyright days that we are now in, but many make it difficult, if not darn near impossible to play their music. This of course if we are talking about basing it off royalties.

I think a lot of it is also exposure to different music and composers. Cadets are doing Nelhybel this year, has his music been done before, yes, but not a great deal of it. In many cases I think it is more of an exposure thing.

And then of course we have show design, I think people put blinders on to much of the music that is out there because they are going for a specific sound, genre, composer, etc.

I think designers would be surprised what they would be able and willing to use if they experimented with.

I am writing a show for a, dare I say, marching band right now that is incorporating several rock bands that are popular right now, with some very very very dated classical music, and I have been shocked on multiple occasions as to how well the harmonies fit together.

Sorry, I rambled, just some thoughts.

No..that has little or nothing do with it.

Just because a corps doesn't play well known music doesn't mean that the piece is not worthy to be on the field. If a corps gives you good moments (brass, percussion and vis) and entertains you, who gives a flip if you've heard of the music they are doing?

I agree with your statement. I enjoy new music. I just really feel that the royalties issue holds back some music from being used.

I think royalties are a factor, but not a large one.

The only instance where I know it has had an impact is when a corps wants to play Carmina Burana.

The Orff estate still holds the rights and can be very picky about who they allow to use the music.

Other than that I am not really aware of problems.

I know Chick Corea was thrilled in 94 when BD won with My Spanish Heart.

More often than not I think artists are happy for the exposure of their music as long as its treated with respect.