The Real Reason ?

There is a force of economics here that I wonder if some of the composers (DeMeij and Van derRoost, in example)...both of these composers charge exorbiant rates (I have heard $2000+ for a single segment) for the rights to arrange and perform. I do not mind paying a reasonable fee; but when it gets that high; then I just find something else. If they lowered the fees they would probably find they would actually make more money than they do with the high fees.

I was also told by a former professor who is a VERY well known band composer that he does not have control over the rights of his published works...that those decisions are made by the legal departments of the publishers; and that is where a lot of the problems come from. Most do not understand the activity and sometimes make ridiculous demands....and THAT was the composer's own words!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some corps' are now writing their own music, which can be very cool. Screw the pop "artists" if that's what they like to call themselves.

There is a force of economics here that I wonder if some of the composers (DeMeij and Van derRoost, in example)...both of these composers charge exorbiant rates (I have heard $2000+ for a single segment) for the rights to arrange and perform. I do not mind paying a reasonable fee; but when it gets that high; then I just find something else. If they lowered the fees they would probably find they would actually make more money than they do with the high fees.

I was also told by a former professor who is a VERY well known band composer that he does not have control over the rights of his published works...that those decisions are made by the legal departments of the publishers; and that is where a lot of the problems come from. Most do not understand the activity and sometimes make ridiculous demands....and THAT was the composer's own words!

Oh, oh--the 'e' word!! Thanks, Bari--my point earlier exactly. If a modern composer wants his music performed how does that happen? See, there are guys like Eugene Corporon at North Texas who are dedicated to performing new music, but the market for such music is rather small. If a composer puts out something quality like de Meij (we did a couple of his shows at UNT), the best way in the world to get about 5,000 bands to buy your music is to get your stuff put on the drum corps field. So you can make a little bit charging Cadets $10,000 to play your music once, and then have a couple years of bands doing your stuff, or you can be reasonable with the corps, charge a lower rate for them and get a million bucks off the bands (concert and marching) buying your stuff.

If you guys haven't done so yet, take an economics class some day--good info.

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that Chuck Mangione recieved more public recognition from Drum Corps than he did from the self-proclaimed "music industry". I had never even heard of the guy until the Blue Devils started throwing his stuff out there.

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that Chuck Mangione recieved more public recognition from Drum Corps than he did from the self-proclaimed "music industry". I had never even heard of the guy until the Blue Devils started throwing his stuff out there.

BINGO!! And that was before ESPN2!! Imagine it now.

His "appearance" on King of the Hill didn't hurt either!

Does anybody remember the rumors in the late 70s/early 80s that Mangione would take razor blades and slice his lips open in order to grow tough scar tissue in order for him to have greater playing endurance in the upper register? Yeah, silly rumors. Maybe Myth Busters can take that one on!

Elmo Blatch

I know! How many drum corps fans wouldn't wanna see Garth Brooks or Billy Ray Cyrus on the field!!

NO WAY!!!!!!! :sshh: please someone get me a barff bag before I throw-up on myself.

Just because a corps doesn't play well known music doesn't mean that the piece is not worthy to be on the field. If a corps gives you good moments (brass, percussion and vis) and entertains you, who gives a flip if you've heard of the music they are doing?

um,................most people I know,............