DCI "triple crown"?

I'd say the "triple crown" as it stands today would be San Antonio, Indy, Finals.

Except this year, due to the tour schedule change to get us out west. Indy this year won't have all the Division I corps as many will be in Denver.

However, no one's mentioned Atlanta so far. That was a HUGE show last year and I believe it will stay as such...also on one day. So, I'd say San Antonio, Atlanta and the World Championships.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well:

No Triple Crown would be complete without the U. S. Open. Guess since it's gone, there is no triple crown. In the "day" DCI Mid-West was probably the second leg of the crown followed by DCI.

RM - RIP U.S. Open

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

You know, that show faded 20 years ago...might be time to move on.

Yes, I do know, and that is just one of the many wrong things DCI has done to the activity. It didn't fade out, it was forced out.

RM - I know my history, do you?

ampssuck

I'd like to throw out that (if we're talking Division I corps), to be part of a Triple Crown, it would have to be a show that every corps was either going to be at or at least could be at. Certain shows just weren't attended by every top corps, either due to the tour schedule, competing shows on same date, membership in a specific circuit...

The big one-day (head-to-head) regionals such as those in San Antonio and Atlanta aren't competing against other DCI shows elsewhere, so every Division I corps can be there if they so choose.

I guess in my time the triple crown would have been: DCM, GLJA, DCI-North, US Open, DCI-Canada and of course DCI itself. DCI-North was always held in Ypsilanti, Michigan just outside of Ann Arbor and was a Huge regional. GLJA was the Great Lakes Invitational in Port Huron, MI (if memory serves correctly).

Port Huron never sponcered a show at that level. I've, more or less, have been going to Port Huron since '81 - that was their 4th year of sponcering a show. I thik the GLI floated around.

I think DCI would be a lot more like baseball... I think the "Triple Crown" is winning visual, brass, and percussion.

If you want a "Grand Slam", like golf & tennis with winning majors, that's easy, too. Win in San Antonio, Atlanta, Indy, and Pasadena. Win every show that everyone is at!

Edited by drumcat

I thought I remembered marching at the US Open in 96. The US Open...the Coast Guard Open...and the Canadian Open.

I think all 3 are defunct now.

How can you not include Murfreesboro, I mean it's only the top 8 corps that go to that show. I would put it the early regional, Murfreesboro and finals, it's beginning middle and end of the year.