DCI "triple crown"?

Something I've gotten curious about lately- there are other sports and activities that have a trio or group of "major accomplishments" or "major victories" that are significant if you win them all in one season. IE- in horse racing, the Triple Crown is winning the Kentucky Derby, Belmont and Preakness Stakes. In baseball, it's getting the batting title and leading in home runs and RBI's. Golf and tennis have their respective "Grand Slams", Nascar had its' "Crown Jewel" events at the Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, World 600 and Southern 500, etc etc.

So does DCI have any group of shows or awards, past or present, that could be categorized as a "triple crown"?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, I would think something like Allentown, Murfreesboro and maybe Marion or DCI Midamerica.

Historically, I would think something like Allentown, Murfreesboro and maybe Marion or DCI Midamerica.

Dream, World, U.S. Open

State champ, VFW, American Legion

Dream, World, U.S. Open

State champ, VFW, American Legion

I know the US Open was held in Marion OH. Where were some of those other events held?

some guys joked about how I won the triple crown in drum corps in 2003, world champion/high brass trophy/baritone i&e

but other than winning finals, winning your division at i&e, and getting your brass/colorguard/drum trophy... i haven't heard of anything city-related about the triple crown...

i imagine it would have something to do with allentown atleast.

hard to say allentown - because the corps are split into two days

In fact, other than nationals, are there any events where everyone competes on the same day for the same judges? I think Indy might be, but I'm not sure.

Galen,

Cozy picked the shows that he did because they are all difference circuits. Back in the day there were plenty of circuits across the nation and plenty of corps to keep them healthy. Granted, most of these shows were before my time .... but

US Open was still around when I marched in the 80's. VFW and AL would move their championships around (much like DCI has done since inception). Dream, I believe was a Major East Coast circuit championship show, but it would also draw the likes of the Kilties and Cavaliers throughout it's history.

I guess in my time the triple crown would have been: DCM, GLJA, DCI-North, US Open, DCI-Canada and of course DCI itself. DCI-North was always held in Ypsilanti, Michigan just outside of Ann Arbor and was a Huge regional. GLJA was the Great Lakes Invitational in Port Huron, MI (if memory serves correctly). US Open was always in Marion. DCI-Canada was huge in the 80's.

In modern drum corps for DCI, it's hard to say what would constitute a triple of any kind. Maybe if you went undefeated for the entire season, swept all captions and sold the most souvies ;)

In DCA, It would probably be: Winning the Title for DCA, Mini corps and the most standing Ovations. (you could also throw in "Most empty Cans after a long weekend").

In fact, other than nationals, are there any events where everyone competes on the same day for the same judges? I think Indy might be, but I'm not sure.

San Antonio.

I'd say the "triple crown" as it stands today would be San Antonio, Indy, Finals.

Now, when finals moves to Indy, it'll be San Antonio, (insert major regional), Indy.