Auburn Purple Lancers

Sitting on my butt without an AZ corps, wishing I had the time to travel somewhere in Cal to play my horn 2007

Without an AZ corps?!?!? Academy? 2006 Div II champion? Newest Div I corps in DCI?

You need to look around a little more. You've got a great drum corps in your own backyard! I'm sure they could use someone with a passion for drum corps to help. I know it's not the same as playing, but it couldn't hurt!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

The 1972 Auburn Purple Lancers did have some pretty good lead sops, I will say. There were many local guys that developed their range quite well, plus myself and Ronnie D'Augustine that had some more stuff to bring to the table. Ronnie was a former Empire Statesmen and Brigs soloist. The other guys were Billy Holmes, Tony Schimizzi (pronounced Skimitz), Jim (Beanie) Vivenzio, Carl Campagnola et al. All but Ronnie and myself aged out after that year, (or were already aged out, LOL).

The Book was written by Nick DeAngelo who at the time was a professor at Hobart College in upstate NY. He wasn't as well known as guys like Corky Fabrizio but his arranging was pretty cool stuff to play. He allowed us to take things up an octave, which we all could do.

Listen to the horn lines of 1973 and 1974 Purple Lancers...we became much more refined and really played well as Corky took over the arranging and instructional duties. 1974 we made DCI Finals and still remain the ONLY NYS corps to ever do that.

Hope that helps!

Donny Allen

Edited by donnymusic

The 1972 Auburn Purple Lancers did have some pretty good lead sops, I will say. There were many local guys that developed their range quite well, plus myself and Ronnie D'Augustine that had some more stuff to bring to the table. Ronnie was a former Empire Statesmen and Brigs soloist. The other guys were Billy Holmes, Tony Schimizzi (pronounced Skimitz), Jim (Beanie) Vivenzio, Carl Campagnola et al. All but Ronnie and myself aged out after that year, (or were already aged out, LOL).

The Book was written by Nick DeAngelo who at the time was a professor at Hobart College in upstate NY. He wasn't as well known as guys like Corky Fabrizio but his arranging was pretty cool stuff to play. He allowed us to take things up an octave, which we all could do.

Listen to the horn lines of 1973 and 1974 Purple Lancers...we became much more refined and really played well as Corky took over the arranging and instructional duties. 1974 we made DCI Finals and still remain the ONLY NYS corps to ever do that.

Hope that helps!

Donny Allen

Didn't Nick DeAngelo arrange some of the Skyliners shows in the 60's? (1963 maybe?)

Hope that helps!

Donny Allen

Hi Donny! A couple words on Geneva Appleknocker connections here. Ronnie started very young with the junior corps (I remember him as a second soprano when I joined Geneva in 1965) as a "grass roots" drum corps horn player. He never played in high school band and his reading skills were limited, but what a great natural talent on the horn! He played solos for us from 1967-71. By the way when I saw him at our reunion in November, he confided in me that he is getting the itch to march again (currently not playing). You should talk to him and plant the bug for St. Joe's Alumni. I think it would be a good match.

Nick DeAngelo was an interesting personality on the drum corps scene. He first made his mark in drum corps with the Appleknockers senior corps where he took over direction from Jack Bullock when Jack left. The 1964 "An Evening With the Corps" concert at Carnegie Hall is a real testament to the man's skills. You can even hear him announcing the corps numbers. I remember the "all-Italian" themed show ("Amparita Roca", etc) which he did for Auburn in 1971. It was a gas! He brought a lot of musical demand with his charts though execution always seemed like a secondary consideration. I loved the exit tune he wrote for Auburn in ?1972. It was beautiful music well-performed. Do you remember the name of this piece? ("Where Am I Going" thanks to Donny for refreshing my memory on this)

There was always a lot of rivalry between Auburn and Geneva since the two towns were so close (about 20 miles). We had Auburn's number most of the years that I marched, but couldn't touch them 1972-74. Yea, you guys had a rockin' horn line from 1972 on. Donny, I told you that I had been listening to a 1973 recording where the execution was just electric. I highly recommend it for all you fans of old-time drum corps out there. I was proud to be able to join you in 1974...memories I will never forget.

It is ironic that the two corps finished the 1974 season at the opposite ends of the drum corps spectrum with Auburn near the top and Geneva near the bottom, but with the same fate awaiting in 1975 (not fielding a corps).

Edited by Geneva

Without an AZ corps?!?!? Academy? 2006 Div II champion? Newest Div I corps in DCI?

You need to look around a little more. You've got a great drum corps in your own backyard! I'm sure they could use someone with a passion for drum corps to help. I know it's not the same as playing, but it couldn't hurt!

Garry in Vegas

:rolleyes: LOL Wish I could march with Academy. Think they have any openings in the horn line for an over weight 50 year old? LOL

Thanks for all the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Listened to 73 and 74, loved those horn lines.

I knew Donny would jump in here! Yes Purple Lancers are still the only junior corps to make top 12 in DCI finals. The only other corps that came close were the Watkins Glen Squires. Sadly, we won't see a NY corps to ever make DCI Finals again I am sure UNLESS...someone brings one to NY, and I don't see that happening ever!

Hope that helps!

Donny Allen

Donny, I seem to remember hearing about this hot club band called Atlas Linen Company. Maybe late 70's or early 80's. I heard your name and D'Augustine were involved but I never got the chance to catch their show. Any truth to what I was hearing, and if so,any recordings exist?

"Atlas" STILL has a band with a couple of original members. They have cut it down to a part time band that does many parties weddings and some club dates, but they still are very good, and quite popular. I bet (former singer) Ronnie Leigh still has some recordings, I would to hear that again myself.

The Atlas version I played in with Ronnie was IMHO quite the best club band around the upstate NYS scene in the 80's. We had many originals, and covered some great stuff from TOP, EWF, Al Jarreau, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan et al. There wasnt any weak players in that band, and I wish I stillhad the chops I had then LOL.

But the Purple were a great corps...folded in the winter of 75 with a full corps. Many of us went then to play in a senior corps called Phoenix.

Donny

Didn't Nick DeAngelo arrange some of the Skyliners shows in the 60's? (1963 maybe?)

That was Vic DeAngelo. He was a business manager along with Lefty, who was also the director at the time. The horn line from the mid 50s through the 60s and beyond was Hy's.

Ray